Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene Four

 

Act One

Scene Two

Sub-Scene Four

The bitch’s letter

 

My dear husband

Firstly, let me say this: I loved you as much as I loved my other two previous husbands. The dead does not measure to you now. Nor will I ever compare you to them, for your valiant actions are never to be compared with. I do miss you from here. And our children, M. Antonius (nicknamed Antyllus) and Iullus Antonius, do ask for you. They are your twin sons not by birth but by name as they call you father too; they are brave and fearsome of anyone who will desecrate your good name.

Please allow me to share my thoughts with you here now.

I know you married me not for my fame and wealth. I am the daughter of Fulvii and the Sempronii Tuditani, two noble Plebeian families that have been dying since the end of the last empire. I had a good life with my husband's influence; I have seen more of it in the boys who served them. I have taken the children to display before the boys that they are yours. They proved themselves well when they addressed the boys. Many had pledged their loyalty to the children. As I have towards you.

When you left for the far city, I will not mention the woman’s name here. Not in the same breath as I confessed my love to you. I was to care for the extended families, our relatives and even your mother. She is fine if you were to ask. We have many conflicts, but they were resolved through negotiation or by force if need be. I am no stranger to force, as you may know.

I am a good mother, devoted to my family, my husband, a cook, although I was not every adept at it, and above all, I saw to bed all of you. I only came to understand the influence of the empire when Clodius died. He was a peaceful man, a lawyer by profession, yet he was gunned down on the street.

However, he was a threat to Cicero, with his influence on the others; he gave them corn during the famine. He enacted the new rules for the empire. The first, the lex de capite civis Romani, was directed against Cicero and punished with exile anyone who put to death a Roman citizen without trial. Cicero had, of course, ordered the execution without a trial of the Catilinarian conspirators, among whom was your stepfather, P. Cornelius, another noble man. The second law, the lex Clodia de exsilio Ciceronis, confirmed Cicero’s punishment of exile after he had fled Rome in fear of prosecution under the first law.

Son, after the death of Clodius, I married Curio. He was associated with Cicero, but they were not conspirators in Clodius’ death. Clodius died fighting the Numidians on behalf of the empire.

Enough of my previous. I am onto you now.

I did wonder why I married you. We were lovers after Curio died. I was twice a widow, and chaste was not my body, but regardless, I found my last love with you. Yes, Mark Antony. I do love you. We hold no children of our own but our love. You were the empire’s consul, and yet Cicero; still the conspirator was adamant about toppling you. I had stood by your side. Even when Caesar (He was a bastard.) was trying to get your boys to change allegiance, he even took over your territory to reward those who joined him. I stood up for you and challenged them all. I got back what was yours.

I allied with Lucius, my own brother, against Caesar. It was difficult initially; Lucius distrusted you, but I won him over. We challenged Caesar together. You did not respond to our messages, but we prevailed without you. Eventually, we lost the challenge, but Lucius was let off by Octavian. He was sent away, while I escaped with my sons.

As for me, I am outside of Rome, in the care of some old friends. I evaded capture, but death awaits me soon. I have an incurable disease. I may not have long to live, but believe me, I loved you.

Your loving wife,

Fulvia.

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...