Saturday, June 15, 2024

Tony and Cleop Act One Scene Two Sub-Scene Two

 

Act One

Scene Two

Sub-Scene Two

Que Sera Sera

 

“No one knows what is in your bed but yourself.” Iras soothes Charmian. “She tells...”

“Yeah, do tell. Do tell Iras her fortune.” Charmian wanted to get her vengeance on the other.

“We will all have our fortunes told. I have paid Maria her dues.” Alexas smiled. “I will collect later from all of you.”

“My fortune; better than ever since I arrived here, and most of ours too, tonight will be my fortune that we go to bed drunk.” Enobarbus laughed.

“No fuck?” Iras cut in.

“Diddle yourself. It is more satisfying.” Alexas said.

“Look at my palm, soothsayer. It tells you that I am chaste, if nothing else.” Iras offered her palms. “

“Yes, I will believe that when the Nile tells you that there will be a famine when it overflows.” Charmian hit back.

“Go away, you lusty friend; you cannot tell fortunes.” Iras said to Charmian.

“No, if I do not know the meaning of it, but your palms are sweaty. Or were you diddling yourself just now?" Charmian laughed. “Please, just tell her an ordinary, everyday kind of fortune. She might get an orgasm if you tell her more.” 

“Both of you hold the same fortunes.” Maria spoke out.

“But how, but how? Give me details. You mean I will get many children too?” Iras was curious. “I will be a sow too.”

“I have said what was there. I cannot tell more.” Maria said.

“Tell me, soothsayer. Do I get a better or least over her in fortune?” Iras pressed on

“An inch more, perhaps. Where would you want it? Perhaps Ralph the stable hand measured to it.”

“Not in my arse; he would not.” Iras snapped back.

“Oh. He has not, then. Bloody swine was aiming at mine.” Charmian laughed. “He cannot reach me with his.”

“May God correct our inappropriate thoughts. Charmian! Iras!” Alexas sounded out the caution to the ladies. She then turned to the soothsayer.

“Come on, Maria. Perhaps less fortune; tell us more! Oh, a woman who is infertile, sweet lass, I pray, and let her die too, and then have him marry a worse wife.” Alexas was referring to Mark Antony. She had known more news from Rome than the messenger will tell. It was easy to match him to a willing lover and be done with his load of secrets.

“Let every wife be worse after that, until the very worst one laughs next to his grave after she has cuckolded him fifty times! Good mother of love, hear this prayer of mine, even if you do not grant my prayers about more important things. Good mother, I beg you!”

“Amen, dear mother, hear that prayer from us! Because, just as it is a tragedy to see a handsome man with an unfaithful wife, it is also a tragedy to see an ugly scoundrel with a faithful wife. Therefore, Good Mother of Love, respect what's appropriate and treat him accordingly.”

“Amen” Charmian also added her prayers.

“What is with you, ladies?” Enobarbus cut in. “Are you...”

“Naked in bed, Iago, and do not mean harm! It is hypocrisy against the devil. They that mean virtuously, and yet do so, the devil tempts, and they tempt heaven.” (Othello, Act Four, Scene One, Line 10). Maria spoke as though she was in a trance. “They are doomed.”

“Hush! Here comes Antony.” Enobarbus saw the arriving figure.

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...