Thursday, June 13, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Three Scene One Sub Act Four

 

THE MERCENARIES

ACT THREE

SCENE ONE

SUB ACT FOUR

 

“Now go to the door and stay there until I call you.” The King told the aide. The King looked at the three figures standing there. The King did not offer them the seats. They looked like any others you may meet at the square of the village—inconspicuous in appearance, but that can be deceiving.

The trio are assassins or hired-for-kill mercenaries. The middle one was an older man with the other two; one lady was younger.

“I heard of your skills.” The King studied them for their features. “You do not look like the ones I am to hire.”

“How may we lure you away from your doubts, King?” The reply was curt from one of the trios.

“Show me your skills. Kill one of you, you know.” The King laid down his request.

The one who spoke was the middle one and was stabbed in the throat by the one on the left, and the other stabbed him in the heart. The older man fell to his knees, trying to hold the blood from his chest. He was soon dead on the floor.

“Marvelous!” The King smiled. “Both of you knew the sacrifice needed. He was obviously not useful anymore.”

"Nevertheless, there was less than one person to share the bag of gold I had offered.” The King motioned to the bag of wealth at the side. “So then, have you thought about what I said?”

“Who are we to dispose?” The lady asked.

“Straight to the matter, young lady. I liked that.” The King smiled. “His name is Banquo.”

“You must know that there is only one named Banquo, the Colonel.” Banquo was not promoted by the King when he ascended. "He, should I say, had deceived me with his loyalty. He hid in plain sight with his intention to kill me. I can show you proof of how he tricked and deceived me and the others. Somehow, he did those vile acts himself, or by the agents who did the dirty work, and who they were worKing with, and enough other details that even a half-wit would say, “Banquo did it!”

“You needed him removed?” The lady asked.

“I do so, but I had to...” The King sighed, “I am his friend, or was once.”

“Is your nature so forgiving that you don’t feel the need for revenge?” The King looked at the two standing there. “Are you so religious that you’d pray for this “good” man and his children when he may force you into an early grave and make your entire family beggars?”

“We are good at what we do. We shed no tears for the ones we remove.”

“Yes, you are part of the species called men. Pardon my generalization, my dear.” The King looked toward the lady. “It was a manner of talking here.”

“Men are... just as hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels, mutts, shaggy lapdogs, shaggy waterdogs, and half-wolves have differences in their breed but are still all dogs. By their breeds, you can distinguish which of these dogs are fast, slow, or clever; which are watchdogs; and which are real hunters. You can describe each dog based on the natural gifts that separate it and make it different from the general qualities that define a dog. It’s the same with men.” 

“They may flaunt their manhood, but nevertheless, they are still of the breed. I will tell you a secret plan that will get rid of your enemy and bring you closer to me. He is your enemy if you are my... mine.  So long as a certain man lives, I am sick. His death would cure me.” The King leaned back on the seat. “I can rest then.

“My King, I'm a man who has gotten so angry from the beatings that the world has given me that I don’t care what I do.” The man voiced out.

“Spoken like a man. I am also so sick of bad luck and being at the mercy of fate that I had to risk everything for a chance to either fix my life or end it.” The King said. “Well, I did then, but I cannot be doing it at every turn of the event. I need...”

“We are at your service, my King.” The lady cut in. “Your enemy is our enemy.”

“Indeed, both of you know Banquo is mine. And will be yours.” The King smiled.

“Yes, my King.” The lady affirmed her stand.

“Banquo was my friend. He did display that to me then.” The King repeated his words. “He had become to such a degree that every minute he’s alive threatens my own well-being.”

“I am King; I could just use my raw power to destroy him, but I cannot do that because we have mutual friends whom we hold, and they may judge me. I must be able to grieve and cry over his death, even though I am the one who will have him killed. It must be done by others. I have come to you asKing for your help. I must hide my real plans from the public eye for those many reasons.”

“We will do what you command, my King." The lady said it again.

“Though our lives...”

“Your resolve shines in your eyes. Within the hour, I will tell you where to go and advise you about exactly when to strike. Because it must be done tonight, some distance from the palace.” The King leaned forward to face the duo. “Always keep in mind that I must be free from suspicion.”

“Aye.” The duo said.

“For the job to be done right, you must kill both Banquo and his son, Fleance, who is with him. Fleance, the son whose absence is as important to me as his father's. They must also die during that dark hour.”

“You may decide the attack. Each of you should decide for himself whether you will do how and what.”

“We will do it, my King.” The duo bowed to the King.

“Take the gold and wait for me at the assigned chamber. A messenger of mine will give you the details.” The King dismissed them. 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...