Saturday, June 29, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Four Scene One Sub Act Three

 

THE KING RETURNED

ACT FOUR

SCENE ONE

SUB ACT THREE

 

“Speak, Duncan. Come back, Duncan.” MacBeth called out.

“Were you there at the castle that night? Why do you taunt me? I did not kill you. You were dead when I arrived.” MacBeth spoke the truth of that night. “Who kill you?”

“Duncan! Speak to me.” MacBeth was upset. “Why do you do this to me? I know you had secrets.”

“Tell me of one. Do tell me of MacDuff. I need to know.” MacBeth called out. “Why is he with the prince?”

“Malcolm lives and MacDuff ……. Why should I fear him? Yet, I will make doubly sure and guarantee my fate. You will die, MacDuff, and by killing you I will defeat my fear and always sleep easily.”

” Tell me. Am I right?” MacBeth was insistent.

“You cannot command him.” Main voiced out.

“I desist. Whatever you are, thanks for your good advice. You have described exactly what I feared. MacDuff is my immediate concern.” MacBeth sounded relief.

“But one more thing …….” MacBeth was pressing on.

The second apparition appeared in the form of a figure known to MacBeth.

“Esther??” MacBeth was calling out. His dead lover was holding the bloodied child.

“MacBeth! MacBeth! MacBeth!” The apparition voiced.

“I hear thee. If I had three ears, I had use all three to listen.” MacBeth moaned.

“Be violent, bold, and determined. Mock the strength of other men, because no man born from a woman will ever harm King MacBeth.”

The second apparition vanished and a third one appeared in the form of a child wearing a crown and holding a tree in his hand.

“Who is that? Which spirit that appears like the child of a King, wearing a royal crown on his young head?” MacBeth was baffled.

“Silence!” Main voiced sternly. “Listen, but do not speak to it.”

“Be as courageous and proud as a lion. Do not worry about who dislikes you, who resents you, and who conspires against you. MacBeth will never be beaten until Great Birnam Wood comes to fight you at Dunsinane Hill.” The third apparition voiced and then vanished.

“Who was that? A child with crown? I have no heir.” MacBeth said.

“Not yet.” MacBeth mumbled. He had waited on Elleanor but it was not forthcoming.

“Great Birnam Wood?’ MacBeth tried to recall the name. He heard tales of the trees there.

“There seats an ancient tree, the Birnam Oak, it was named the "Hangman's Tree". on a strip of woodland on the south bank of the River Tay. The trunk is wide and its large spreading branches have latterly been supported on a number of struts to prevent them from collapsing under their own weight. The exact age is unknown, but the girth suggests an age of very old.”

“The mortals of Man will be gone but not the tree.” Another said of the tree.

“That will never happen.” MacBeth was disbelieving. “Who can command the forest so that the trees lift their roots from the earth?”

“Can it be sweet prophecies? Good! My murders will never rise until the forest of Birnam rises, and I will live a full life and die only of old age, as is customary.” MacBeth was delighted.

“But my heart still throbs to know one thing. Tell me, if your dark powers can see it: will Banquo’s sons ever reign in this Kingdom? He is my nemesis.”

“Do not try to learn more.” Main voiced but MacBeth was unwilling to back down.

“I demand to be satisfied. If you deny me, may an eternal curse fall on you! Let me know.”

“Show him so his heart grieves. Come like shadows and depart as shadows too!” Main roared out. Over the top of the crystal, the parade of eight Kings appeared across the ceiling, the last one holds a mirror in his hand, followed by the last who was not a King but one that appeared to be a follower.

Banquo was the name.

‘Unworthy angels! Why do you show me this? Will this line of Kings stretch on to infinity? Yet another one? And a seventh? I want to see no more.” MacBeth was staring at Banquo. “How is he here? And yet an eighth appears, holding a mirror in which I see many more Kings.”

“Some of those Kings carry double orbs and triple sceptres! Horrible sight! Now I see it is true: blood-splattered Banquo smiles at me and points at them, identifying them as his descendants.” MacBeth was upset. “What of mine?”

The spirits of the Kings with Banquo vanished.

“What? Is this true?” MacBeth asked.

“Yes, it is all true. But why do you stand there so amazed?” Main voiced.

“Let us conjure up some spirits and show him what we can do. I will charm the air to make music while you perform your wild dance.” The crystals them hummed and shades of aura appeared over the place.

“Then this noble King will say that our ceremonies repaid his friendly welcome.” The crystals then went quiet.

“My King!” The voice called to MacBeth from outside the Citadel. It woke him then.

“Was I asleep?” MacBeth shook his head. He then heard the voice once more.

“Are you there?”

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...