Saturday, June 15, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Three Scene Two Sub Act One

 

THE MOUSE 

ACT THREE

SCENE TWO

SUB ACT ONE

 

The feast that evening went well; the knives were aplenty, slashing at the chunk of meat, the goblets filled to the brim, with the better men sloshing themselves with whiskey.

“Aye, the drink of the highlands is truly one.” The men celebrated their drink. At any feast among men, there were bound to be brawls, but the action of the guards and nobles clamped the cursing and exchange of fists. The King sat there by the long table laden with food and drinks; next to him was his queen, and then the adviser and the other nobles. He looked at the others seated on the long tables in front of him. They were all facing the roasting pit, where the prime cuts were hung over the fire. One noble stood on the long table and raised his goblet.

How high would I climb mountains?
If the mountains were where you hide
How far would I scale the valleys?
If you graced the other side

Another noble, not undone, took to the other end of the table and sang the following verse.

How long have I chased rivers?
From low seas to where they rise
Against the rush of grace descending
From the source of its supply

The others then called on the chorus.

In the Highlands and the Heartache
You’re neither more nor less inclined.
I would search and stop at nothing.
You’re just not that hard to find.

(https://hillsong.com/lyrics/highlands-song-of-ascent/).

“Aye, Mary Stewart. Wed thee to me.” A drunken Thane took to the tabletop and was booed off.

“Narry will she, Jonas MacCall? Let your breeches be soiled, but she would not let you soil her.” Another of the Thanes was heard calling.

It was taken in with Jest, and so was Banquo during it all. He was at the long table with the King, but when the evening moved on, he had done so with the other nobles at the rear.

“My King, Banquo, is with the others.” Lady Elleanor whispered to the King.

“I can see that too, my queen. He enjoys himself with the Thanes and nobles, and every name I have kept to heart. He will soon know the night was to be his... "Shall I say, final supper?”

“Drink, my King.” MacDuff, who was seated near the King, had appeared before him. He held a glass of whiskey to toast the King. The King obliged and then watched the feast with a steady focus on his friends and possible foes.

“Tell me a tale, Lennox. Tell me of the mouse.”

Wee, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie,
O', what a panic’s in your breast!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi’ bickering brattle!
I would be laith to rin and’ chase thee,
Wi’ murdering pattle.

I’m truly sorry for man’s dominion.
Has broken nature’s social union,
An’ justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion
An’ fellow mortal!

I doubt na’ whyles, but thou may thieve.
What then? Poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen icker in a thr
‘S a sma’ request:
I’ll get a blessing with’ the lave,
And never miss’t!

https://sdhighlandgames.org/5-famous-poems-by-robert-burns/

In Robert Burns’ poem “To a Mouse,” the speaker addresses a mouse that he has disturbed while plowing a field. The speaker expresses sympathy for the mouse, acknowledging that both he and the mouse are subject to the whims of fate. The speaker also reflects on the human tendency to worry about the future, while the mouse lives in the present moment. The poem is written in Scots dialect, which adds to its charm and authenticity.

The people gathered there and roared out in laughter. Lennox stopped then while he thought of the words to continue.

“Aye, I seek your pardon, my King. I lost the words with the drinks.” Lennox bowed to the King.

“You are pardoned, my adviser." The King laughed.

“The Mouse? Surely, there are better words to talk of you. Lady Elleanor whispered to the King.

“I am perhaps like a mouse. I lived for the moment now.” The King smiled. “We do not know the future.”

“You did, my King.” Lady Elleanor reminded the King. “Your ….”

“Indeed, I have, but for now I will enjoy my present company. Including you.” The King smiled. It left Lady Elleanor to ask more, but the time and place were not right.

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...