Thursday, June 13, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Three Scene One Sub Act Two

 

THE KING CELEBRATE

ACT THREE

SCENE ONE

SUB ACT TWO

 

The King arrived at the hall with the Queen next to him and the advisers of his: Lennox retained the task and MacDuff as the security head. Ross of Cambria was there at the rear as the preferred Thane of the King. They took to their assigned seats before the nobles and other Thanes took theirs. The King looked at the gathered, his sight on those who favored him and those who hid their contempt for him. He is the King and will be seen as fair to all.

“Your friend had arrived.” The Queen told the King when Banquo stepped into the hall.

“Here’s to our distinguished guest.” The King announced. “If we had forgotten to invite him, it would have been entirely inappropriate, and our celebratory feast would be incomplete.”

“I apologize, my King. I was held up by events that could not be avoided.” Banquo held his hands to his abdomen,

“Ah, the privilege here is advanced. No pots and porters to clear the latrines.” MacDuff cut in. That remark made everyone there laugh.

“This night we are having a ceremonial feast, and I formally request that you attend.” The King looked at Banquo. “The meals will be adjusted to accommodate your health.”

That drew more laughter.

“I am always bound by duty to obey whatever my King commands me to do.” Banquo bowed to the King.

“Shall we ride and hunt this afternoon?” It was an unusual request of the King, but it was directed to Banquo.

“Yes, my good King." Banquo smiled.

“My King, there are decisions that need your advice.” Lennox cut in.

“Yes, I have forgotten.” The King looked at Lennox. “If you had nor reminded me, of which I treasured your advice that is wise and profitable, trades are essential to us all.”

“We settle for tomorrow's ride. Will you be riding far?” The King looked at Banquo. “We will ride long and far.”

“Far enough that the trip will take me from now until dinner, my King. Unless my horse goes faster than I expect, I will be riding in the dark for an hour or two after sunset.” Banquo laughed.

“Indeed, you will be on the ride, but you must not miss the feast tonight.”

“My King, I will not.”

“Let me speak on another matter now.” The King moved the subject matter. “We hear that the murderous princes have gone to England and Ireland. They have not confessed to cruelly murdering their father, and they have been telling strange lies to anyone who will listen.”

The gathered there went into the murmurings while the King looked hard at every face.

“But we’ll discuss that tomorrow, as well as other matters of state that are important to us both.”

“Go hurry to your home, Banquo. I will see you when you return tonight. Is Fleance coming?”

Banquo had left the hall without a reply. The King looked at the departing friend with a quizzed expression.

“May your horses be fast and surefooted. With that wish, I send you better wishes for our horseback riding. Farewell.”

“All of you can do what you want until seven o’clock tonight. To make the evening even more enjoyable, I am going to spend the time until dinner alone. Until then, God be with you!” The King dismissed the gathered.

“My King, your other consultation had arrived.” The aide told him.

“I will meet in the other chamber... alone.” The King said.

 


No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...