Monday, June 10, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Three Scene One Sub Act One

 

THE KING

ACT THREE

SCENE ONE

SUB ACT ONE

 

The reign of King MacBeth was usual like most newly reigned monarch. The King had his nobles and Thanes selected by himself. He had conflicts among his nobles that needed remedial steps. He had some removed forcibly and some with harsh actions. His alliance with the other Kings was best judged as diplomatic but with the immediate neighbours; it was wary of each other’s intentions.

The King had sent emissaries to the English and Irish to request for the exiled princes but he did not proclaimed war. They had refused the request and the King left he words that the princes were not to return. On the happier side, the King had wedded Elleanor and made her his Queen. It suppressed the gossip about Elleanor, who was seen in MacBeth’s chamber most nights. They however lack the sign of the heir.

“She was nude. The maid told us.” Those words rang of seduction from the lady. “Never was to be expected. She was Mary’s sister and is now taking over Mary’s role.”

“I married you when your last lover died.” The butcher told his lover. “Yeah, we did, and no one will buy your meat for days, lest it be my lover’s you slaughtered there. He was a fat one.”

“The Thane had needs, and she was there.” Another had defended the Thane. “Have you? And did you ask me about mine? Or was it only your nightly needs?”

“I think it was the whiskey. I had lost mine when he was drunk.” The maid voiced out. “I would be darned if I knew how it was then. I was drunk too.”

Nevertheless, the lady was then the Queen, and no one gossiped about her.

The call was made for attendance with the King. MacBeth had to prepare himself in the chamber, assisted by Banquo.

“You have it now: you’re King, the Thane of Cawdor, and the Thane of Gladis.” Banquo pinned the royal cloak onto the King. "Just what was said at the Citadel.”

“The cloak is heavy on my shoulders.” MacBeth complained.

“The King needs to look royal." Banquo told the King. “Are you not the King?”

“I am, but still, the cloak is heavier than when I first wore it.”

“You must hold onto the cloak, as it means the Kingship is yours.” Banquo told him repeatedly. MacBeth sighed at the task.

“Do you know that some Kings got their throne by foul play? I am not saying yours. You were given the prophecy that you are  King. Banquo made the snide remarks. “The others... I cannot say how. Maybe Duncan got his by deceit. Was it foul play to be deceitful?”

“Clamp it, Banquo, or I will have you beheaded.” MacBeth replied to the other. “You have your...”

“My prophecy? Yes, my children will be Kings." Banquo smiled. “You have no heir... now, but Elleanor may bear you one. She is still...

“Young? I doubt so, but she is ravenous.” MacBeth laughed. “I wake up with aches in my body.”

“I wish it was so for me.” Banquo sighed. MacBeth stopped tickling the other. He knew that Banquo was hardly on marital terms with Mauld. Fleance was their last act; was it love or just an obligation?

“My children may be Kings, but the citadel did not say where. If that is so, it will not be here.” Banquo assured MacBeth.

“I am not overly concerned.” MacBeth said. “The prophecy of yours did not say they would replace me.”

“Not ever, my King.” Banquo. “Shall we meet your subjects now? Please go forth. I will attend soon.”

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...