Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 10

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Ten

Much ado among friends; love and jilt are the norms.

“I still do, by these pickers and stealers” Hamlet wiggled his last finger in front of Rozencrantz’s face

“My dear lord,’ said Rosencrantz. ‘Why are you so unhappy? You’re only closing the door to help if you don’t tell your friend.”

“Sir, is it because I lack desire? No, the promotion was indecisive.” Hamlet replied.

“How can that be when you have the support of the King himself for your succession in Denmark?’

‘Yes, but no longer, sir, He sits not on it.” Hamlet was distracted by the arrival of some actors holding musical instruments. One of them held a recorder, a woodwind musical instrument like the flute. It is a flute with a whistle mouthpiece, also known as a fipple flute. A recorder can be distinguished from other duct flutes by the presence of a thumb hole for the upper hand and seven finger holes: three for the upper hand and four for the lower. It is the most prominent duct flute in the western classical tradition.

“May I borrow one?” Hamlet asked the player. He took one from a musician.

“Do you remember these, Guildenstern? Perhaps not.” Hamlet showed it to the others. “Do come with me.’

Guildenstern followed him out of the room, along the corridor to the terrace overlooking the huge garden with the setting sun, lending it a shadowed outlook.

“I used to stand here when my mind was younger and the age small.” Hamlet loved the dark blue skies above the gloomy landscape. “I could only reach the top of there, but my sight was on the horizon. I pictured fairies and imps all coming out to play then, and how I wished it was with me then. But it was not, for I am forbidden to go out near dusk. Friends were rare even then.”

Hamlet looked to Guildenstern.

“Why did you turn on me? Was it the money the Emperor was to pay? Or paid? Or the pleasure of doing me in the rear?” Hamlet confronted the other.

“O, my lord, if my duty is too bold, my love is too unmannerly,” Guildenstern replied defensively. “I am the …”

“The manly one with us.” Hamlet voiced out his view. “I do not well understand that. Will you play upon this pipe?”

“My lord, I cannot. Did I do what offended you?” Guildenstern shook his head.

“Musical you were not but eloquent in the speech, you excel,” Hamlet spoke of Guildenstern’s skill.

“Believe me, I cannot. I know no touch of it, my lord.” Guildenstern still trying to ask Hamlet about his outburst.

“It is as easy as lying. Govern these ventages with your fingers and thumb, give it breath with your mouth and it will discourse most eloquent music.” Hamlet continues to push the musical instrument toward Guildenstern.

“But these cannot I command to any utterance of harmony. I do have not the skill.” Guildenstern looked at Hamlet. “Why the hostility, my lord?”

“My lord? Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of me! You would play upon me, you would seem to know my stops, you would pluck out the heart of my mystery, you would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass, and there is much music, and excellent voice, in this little organ, yet cannot you make it speak.”

“I don’t understand.” Guildenstern kept on a baffled expression.

“Do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can
fret me, you cannot play upon me.” Hamlet turned to look at the horizon. “Just as they won’t play with me. We were never one of the same.”

Hamlet then saw Polonius approaching them.

“Yes, the boats must be in the port for the Fishmonger has come calling.” Hamlet walked toward Polonius.

“My lord, the Queen would speak with you, and presently,” Polonius announced as if he was addressing the guests in the hall. He was confused to see Hamlet walk past him looking at the skies.

“Oh, how do you fare?” Hamlet greeted the other. “Do you see yonder cloud that’s almost in
the shape of a camel? You do know of the camel?”

“Yes, I do. I read it to Ophelia when she was young.” Polonius moved his sight to the skies. “By th’ Mass, and ’tis like a camel indeed.”

“Methinks it is like a weasel. Nasty creatures, ever sneaking around.” 

“It is backed like a weasel.” Polonius tried to be amused by Hamlet, yet he could make out nothing in the skies, except clouds, or perhaps, like steaks piled on the plate… appetizing.

“Or like a whale” Hamlet ranted on.

“Very like a whale.” What whale? It was more like a herd of gazelle.

“Then I will come to my mother by and by.” Hamlet looked at Polonius as if he was back in his sanity. “Aside.”

“They fool me to the top of my bent.” Loony was the other idea. “I will come by and by.”

“I will say so.” Polonius nodded to Hamlet. He was then feeling hungry, and a steak will suffice.

“By and by” is easily said. Leave me, friends.” Hamlet dismissed all of them. He looked to the last one leaving the door, body with the shadow.

“Alas, I am alone…once more.” Hamlet looked to the skies and it was all dark. “Soon the very witching time of night, When churchyards yawn and hell itself breathes out. It will be a contagion to this world.”

Hamlet had on him the image of the three witches from Macbeth. They were to him placing the contagion to this world.

“ Now could I drink hot blood as blood is the life?” ( Quote from Bram Stoker ‘Dracula’.) Hamlet laughed to himself. “Witches and the vampire; truly the unpair but of pairing will be a bane to all. My mother and Claudius are of that.”

“Could I of  such bitter business as the day would quake to look on.” Hamlet held back his anger. He did promise the ghost the mother will come to no harm. “Soft, now to my mother. O heart, lose not thy nature; let not ever be like Nero who took his mother to bosom yet bloodied by him on the bosom.”

According to their accounts, his mother Agrippina was a ruthless and ambitious woman who schemed and murdered to get her son on the throne. When it finally paid off, she had no intention of fading into the background. However, five years into his reign, Nero and Agrippina became locked in a brutal power struggle. In Baiae, he plotted the murder of his mother by inviting her as a guest of honor to a sumptuous banquet at his villa. Nero had planned for his mother’s ship to sink, and depending on the writer’s account, Agrippina either died at sea or survived the incident only for Nero to send soldiers to her villa to finish the job.

“Let me be cruel, not unnatural.” Hamlet looked around him and his eyes rested on the dagger on the wall. He retrieved it and unsheathed it.

“I will speak daggers to her, but use none of my tongue and soul in this be hypocrites: How in my words soever she be shent, to give them seals never, my soul, consent.” Hamlet felt his oath to the ghost pained him but he will abide as his soul will never consent to him harming his mother.

“She was yours, Father. As I stand to read the lines, King Lear, on my birth.” Hamlet sheathed the dagger.

My father compounded with my mother under the Dragon's tail, and my nativity was under Ursa Major, so that it follows, I am rough and lecherous. Tut, I should have been that I am, had the maiden lies star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardizing.

“An I, my mother? Or am I not?” Hamlet slipped into his indecisiveness. He then lowered his head.

Mother, you will be spared,” Hamlet muttered. “I will abide by my father’s ghost words.”

Was it obedience or defeat in the mind?

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...