Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 1 Sub-Scene 4

 Act Three

Act Three Scene One

Sub Scene Four

The doves' commitments

Ophelia's heart sank on hearing Hamlet’s words. He did …once loved her in his words. She stepped back from him.

“Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so.”

“You should not have believed me, for virtue cannot so inoculate our old stock but we shall relish of it. I loved you not ever since.”

Ophelia recalled her offering once before; their bedroom then among the discarded items.

“I was the more deceived.” Ophelia sighed. “We were once…”

All Ophelia could visualize was her naïve offering then. A pair of doves was perched on the window sill then cooing their love despite the scene inside.,

“The named loving doves?” Hamlet saw the doves and used them for his paradox then,

“I had known that some doves will mate for life while others will only pair up for the season. We did not, and have not since.”

“If we were doves In some cases, if their pair passes away it is believed that these doves are aware of their loss and mourn the death of their pair. We do not for love we were not. Not now.”

“Indeed, my lord, you made me believe then. I was ready but….”

“You should not have believed me, but we shall relish it your intentions.” Hamlet’s words hut her then.

Hamlet saw her then, unlocked to his view, and he does not forget, with now his words, that I was the offeror, yet he did not take it.

If only Ophelia had seen his mind; his roving days on tour, he had his dallies with relish but he felt it was the need to feel than the need to share. He took and received it holding no memories of it later. It was to him a passing moment of his life, erased by dawn. He looked at Ophelia, whom he once wanted to share but failed.

“I loved you not.” Hamlet hammered it in. She reminded him too much of his mother. He had read Freud and denied that notes that he may have favored his mother to any others, but no, he had seen her infidelity as his impotence to feel the act than to be done with it, as to expend his anger.

“I am not to be led by Cleopatra.” Hamlet then voiced out the Empress’s seduction in an extract of the play from Mark Antony and Cleopatra; if you find him sad, say I am dancing. If in mirth, report that I am suddenly sick. Quick, and return.”(Cleopatra Act 1 Scene 3, Shakespeare.)

“I will not be deceived,” Hamlet said. “I am not a fool like women are to me.”

“Truly, I was the more deceived.” Ophelia felt the stab that went deeper. She waited for him, and then the woes of her father to move on for he was a man undeserving; she did wait for him. If he had known of her previous offerings, he may have lain like the King itself.

Ophelia devoted herself to the books for her salvation awaiting the knight to take her. It was all in the books she had read. There were various developments of living life freely but she ignored those passages. She was to be pure and purity though it may have her stagnant then.

“Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so.” Ophelia strived for the silver lining or the magical vine or hair to release her from the wait.  Her knight will climb or clear the path of the forest.

“I would never have thought…that Rapunzel had it better.”

“Your virtue pure for me all this time?” Hamlet laughed. “No matter how hard we try to be virtuous, our naturally sinful nature will come through in some way.”

“Move thee from these walls. There are more you have not seen.” Hamlet told Ophelia. “A world of everything; from nastiness to the clarity of heaven. You may call to God for release in your voice when the body and mind blend and it’s not sinful at all. It will give you a new perspective on what is called heavenly. Strumpet not discounted to it.”

“He thinks my daughter of one. I shall …” Polonius was furious but held himself hidden.

“Ophelia, you are not seeing from within the castle walls. You need to be out there. The grass is greener there the flower beds in bloom and even trampled over, it will recover for the sun and water that gives it nutrients.”

Hamlet then felt that he may be wrong. She was too innocent to go out. Another castle may be better for her.

“Get thee to a nunnery now. Why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners with me?” Hamlet told her that if ever they are together their offspring will be as bad as him. Perhaps that is why a long time ago, he had spent out of her while with many he had done the giveth and receiveth.

It’s the strumpet on the one whom he calls mother.

“I am myself indifferent honest, but yet I could accuse myself of such things that it was better my mother had not borne me: I am very proud, revengeful, ambitious, with more offenses at my beck than I have thoughts to put them in, imagination to give them shape, or time to act them in.” Hamlet thus said that he was never the pure soul that was thought of all, but a deceitful, and scoundrel to the core. He should not have been born at all, but he was, and best she avoided him.

A better place was the nunnery where the devil will not break down its wall.

“What should such fellows as I do crawling between earth and heaven? We are arrant knaves all; believe none of us.” Hamlet avail himself as like a demon who lives between the dimensions.

“Best thee not get to be that mother. Go thy ways to a nunnery the next. It's the safer haven for you.” Hamlet was to see Ophelia again then like his mother; an unfaithful one that may be the strumpet despite the taken vows to stay as one, and with ones she will be with.

“He banished me.” Ophelia felt her heart stop in its beat. He truly does not love me anymore. “But why?”

“I am…” Ophelia tried to find words to end the pain.

“I desire no more of it. Where’s your father?”

“At his chamber.” Ophelia was unsure. Her mind clouded.

“Let the doors be shut upon him that he may play the fool nowhere but in ’s own house. Do tell him if you see him. Or he may be here now. Let him hear it out. He is a fool.” Hamlet turned his back.“Farewell.”

Polonius who was hiding was furious but he shall not play into the hands of the other.

“I shall remain hidden till he has done his act,” Polonius told himself.

“Oh, If thou dost marry, I’ll give thee this plague for thy dowry: be thou as chaste as ice, as pure as snow, thou shalt not escape calumny. Get thee to a nunnery, farewell. Hamlet stopped his steps. He spoke without looking at Ophelia.

“Or if thou wilt needs to marry, marry a fool; they are around aplenty, for wise men know well enough what monsters you make of them,” Hamlet added on. “Best be that thou go a nunnery, go, and quickly too.” Hamlet waved goodbye. “Farewell, Ophelia.:

“Heavenly powers, restore him!” Ophelia found in her to offer a prayer for Hamlet. “His madness be cleared.”

“I have heard of your paintings too, well enough.” Hamlet stood there.

“God hath given you one face, and you make yourselves another.” Hamlet mocked the faith inside Ophelia. “You jig and amble, and you lisp; you nickname God’s creatures and make your wantonness your ignorance.”

“Go to, I’ll no more on ’t. It hath made me mad. I say we will have no more marriage. Those that are married already, all but one, shall live.” Hamlet lent his words to the other married couple. To him, only one shall survive soon. The words of the ghost told him to spare his mother.

“I shall say this once only. The rest shall keep as they are. To a nunnery, go.” Hamlet was to tell that his mother shall seek the same sanctuary soon. “You will have company there.”

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...