Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 7

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Seven

The curtain raises (2)

“Do I owe you a debt, my dear? A long time ago, I think it was.” Hamlet looked at Ophelia and had to tempt her. . He recalled the moment in the attic, young friends nurturing to be lovers then.

“If it ever was, but naught was the debt taken then. If I can recall, you could not prize the debt onto yourself.” Ophelia smites at his failure.

“A misadventure of youth, but we could retake that now,” Hamlet suggested the offering once more. “I am still in my youth but with adventures to myself, I had learned. I can …”

“Halt your thoughts, Hamlet. I have erred then but won’t be lured to impose by you.” Ophelia glared at him. “We took no vow and there shall be none.”

A lustful endeavor was rejected but the scorn on Polonius was anger on listening to the rebuff by the two younger persons. He was soon distracted by the stage play when the player playing the King addressed Queen in these words.

 “What to ourselves in passion we propose, the passion ending, doth the purpose lose. The violence of either grief or joy their enactures with themselves destroy. Where joy most revels, grief doth most lament; grief joys, joy grieves, on slender accident. This world is not for aye, nor ’tis not strange that even our loves should with our fortunes change; for ’tis, a question left us yet to prove “

“Whether love leads fortune or else, fortune love.” Hamlet feels as if he can shape his future (“love lead fortune”), but towards the end of the play, Hamlet begins to accept the fact that destiny cannot be avoided (“fortune [leads] love”).  

“Our promises are worthless because nothing in this world is constant, and everything must ultimately submit to Fortune.” Hamlet look from Ophelia towards Gertrude. The latter ignored his stare and immersed herself in the play. Hamlet considers her having broken her marriage vows to his father by marrying Claudius. Thus, she has foregone her vows.

“The great man down, you mark his favorite flies; the poor, advanced, makes friends of enemies. And hitherto doth love on fortune tend, For who not needs shall never lack a friend and who in want a hollow friend doth try Directly seasons him his enemy.”

“Betrayal!” Hamlet called out looking at Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. “Friends or fiend indeed.”

None dares to hush Hamlet for his play.

“But, orderly to end where I began: our wills and fates do so contrary run That our devices still are overthrown; our thoughts are ours, their ends none of our own. So think thou wilt no second husband wed,
But die thy thoughts when thy first lord is dead.” The King looked to his Queen.

“Nor Earth to me give food, nor heaven light,” The Queen replied. “Sport and repose lock from me day and night, to desperation turn my trust and hope, an anchor’s cheer in prison be my scope. Each opposite that blanks the face of joy meets what I would have well and it destroys. Both here and hence pursue me lasting strife, if, once a widow, ever I am a wife.”

“She should break it now!” Hamlet looked to the audience for their reaction. He saw some lost to the words, some baffled by the action, and fewer than a few understood the words.

“Alas, they know not naught but the guilt should feel.” Hamlet sighed with a side view of his mother.

“Tis swore. Sweet, leave me here awhile. My spirits grow dull, and fain I would beguile The tedious day with sleep. Periods of sleep.” The King lay on the stage by his side.

“Sleep rock thy brain, and never come mischance between us twain.” The Player Queen exits. It was the cue for Hamlet to ask his mother.

“Madam, how like you this play?”

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks but I am unappreciative of a play.”

“But you are wedded to an actor, sorry not once but twice in the journey. Surely, you do know the vows taken, and like her will keep her word.” Hamlet played to her words.

“I am of reality. Plays to me are made up of events. I partake not in any.” Gertrude denies her understanding of plays.

“Yet you attract onto actors? Not once but twice. Surely, without an understanding, it will be boring to be attracted.” Hamlet queried. “To be distracted by one and move to another truly misunderstood me.”

“Hamlet, he died and I moved on.” Gertrude took offense to Hamlet. “Should I not?”

“Have you heard the argument? Is there no offense in ’t?” Claudius cut in making the overture that it was more like a marital conversation.

“No, no, they do but jest, poison in jest.” The poison in jest was like a sarcastic remark to hurt, yet not truly the whole of it. “No offense i’ th’ world. Our life is filled with it and acceptance is …. Bearable.”

“What do you call the play?” The King moved the subject and moved it toward Hamlet.

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...