Monday, March 20, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 2 Scene 2 Sub Scene 11

 Act Two

Act Two Scene Two

Sub Scene Eleven

The soliloquy alike the self cruficatrion

“Let me sit heavy on thy soul tomorrow! Think, how thou stabs me in my prime of youth at Tewksbury: despair, therefore, and die!” (V.III.123-125). Hamlet took to the silence of the chamber when his mind was reminded of the lines from Richard III. The two Princes, aged nine and twelve deceived by the uncle, who was to be their protector. He begins by winning their trust and leads them to believe that they are being locked in the tower for their safety. Of course, they trust their uncle. These young, spirited, witty boys stood in the way of Richard becoming king, he murdered them both in cold blood. When they had so much life left to live. (https://nosweatshakespeare.com/blog/tragic-shakespeare-moments/)

“Villian will be seen in the most loved of ours.”

“Life is as tedious as a twice-told tale, vexing the dull ear of a drowsy man.” King John.( https://nosweatshakespeare.com/quotes/categories/life/)

“Such is the journey of my life since I returned.” Hamlet was self-questioning. “I am in mourn and yet undecided as to what I do next.”

The players have surfaced Hamlet’s grief then, all alone, and having spent days in his sorrow of the death of his father, and yet on knowing; or presumed cause of it, he had not to act but wandered listlessly.

Ever in doubt and assured to fall into stupor self-pity.

“Madness, they said I am but I am alone. I have no one to confide.” Hamlet bemoans the path of his journey then. He heard the whispers. He lived it to their words, lest he is left alone.

“O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I!” Hamlet said to himself. He reflected on the mirror image of another actor then.

“Is it not monstrous that this player here.” Hamlet saw the main player as he would have, immersed in the role and shed tears yet he could not till then. “But in a fiction, in a dream of passion, Could force his soul so to his conceit? Real tears or fake, it flowed for the functional creation of the play.”

The play's acting may have crossed the lines toward near reality in the scene. Hamlet’s thoughts went out to the female actor who drew his attention.

“The female actor that from her working all her visage wanned, Tears in her eyes, while distraction in his aspect”.Hamlet unravels the sequence of actions in comparison to how the act was done. “A broken voice, and her whole function suiting with forms to his conceit—and all for nothing! She could not save the lover of hers.”

“Encore to them!” Hamlet praised the actors. “I felt their words. It was for Hecuba well represented there! Yet what was Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba, that he should weep for her?”

Hecuba is a character from words, yet the emotions were as if they were a part of Hecuba.

“What did he do had he the motive and the cue for the passion I once had? As I would then, he would drown the stage with tears. And cleave the general ear with horrid speech, make mad the guilty and appall the free, confound the ignorant and amaze indeed.”

“I felt so overwhelmed by their act, in par to mine once before.”  Hamlet was impotent to the action as the main player was able to portray them. “My current state prevailed as a barrier.”

“The very faculties of eyes and ears will be seen that I, a dull and muddy-mettled rascal now, peak like John-a-dreams, unpregnant of my cause, like a novice actor.”

“Of which, I am or ….. not anymore?” Hamlet questioned his inner character.
“Not a followed script but my actions can say nothing—no, not for the King upon whose property and the dearest life a damned defeat was made.”

“I can’t act, or am I a coward?” Hamlet is in self-doubt yet he felt challenged. “Unmoving I am.”

Suddenly he lashed out as if a voice beckons him.

“Who calls me a “villain”? breaks my pate across? Plucks off my beard and blows it in my face?” Hamlet then buried his face with his hands. “Tweaks me by the nose? gives me the lie i’ th’ throat as deep as to the lungs? Who does me this?”

“I did it myself.” Hamlet wallowed in his self-pity, or madness seen by others. He laughed.

“Ha! ’Swounds, I should take it! For it cannot be but I am pigeon-livered and lack the gall to make oppression bitter or ere this I should have fatted all the region kites with this slave’s offal. Bloody, bawdy villain! Remorseless, treacherous, lecherous, kind-less  villain!”

Hamlet felt the anger to do that to the villain but effortless was his will then.

“O vengeance! Art villain is known, and what an ass am I!” Hamlet knew in his heart who that was.

“This is most brave, that I, the son of a dear father murdered, prompted to my revenge by heaven and hell”, Hamlet sighed on the supposed venging son, yet could not act.

“Must, like a whore, unpack my heart with words and fall a-cursing like a very drab.” Indecisive Hamlet was then; one moment to hold vengeance and the next he was unsure of what to avenge. Truly, maddening and painful it was on his soul. He needs to act.

“I am an actor. I shall use the stage to act.” Hamlet called on himself.

“My life passion shall unfold my madness, it shall.” Like any act Hamlet needed to rehearse to get the feel, and then act his portrayal convincingly. The picture formed in his mind then.

“About, my brains!—Hum, I have heard that guilty creatures sitting at a play have, by the very cunning of the scene, Been struck so to the soul that presently they have proclaimed their malefactions; for murder, though it holds no tongue, will speak with most miraculous organ.” Hamlet had the image of Judas at the table for supper, yet his appetite was the silver coins.

“A self-reflection on their soul; the soul will open the mind to their foul deeds.” As Judas did then when the guilt arose in the soul. “I will come up with the deed to do but how would the foul deed surface? It will as most of them do.”

Hamlet was in his sane mind once again.

“I know.” A flash of brilliance occurred to Hamlet. “The stage shall be my play as it had been my journey. I am brilliant. I had asked for the play from the players, and the script will be done by me with some changes. Nor the ones I had suggested earlier but something more.”

“I’ll have these players play something like the murder of my father before my uncle the villain told me. I’ll observe his looks;  I’ll tent him to the quick. If he does blench, I know my course.” Hamlet smiled at his planned act, and then he fell into self-doubt once more. “But if I am wrong.”

“The spirit that I have seen maybe a devil, and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps, out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me. I may have committed a sin that will be on my soul forever.” Hamlet felt the devil may be on his mind.

“Whatever will be shall be. I need to resolve this madness of mine. Did he do it or was I influenced by the ghost for reasons I know now or now I may?” Hamlet was switching his objective of thought. “I’ll have grounds more relative than this. The play’s the thing wherein I’ll catch the conscience of the King or mine.”

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...