Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 3

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Three

Horatio was seen on the horizon

“What ho, Horatio!” Hamlet saw his long-time guardian and friend approach the Hall.

“Here, sweet lord, at your service.” Horatio stepped up to the Prince.

“Horatio, thou art e’en as just a man as e’er my conversation coped withal.” Hamlet pulled him aside.

“O, my dear lord— I am as much what a man should be as any I have ever met. You lay the suit there for me to dress on.” It was an admiralty design cut to fit the man. The portrait of the Admiral who won the battles was always regal in appearance and immaculate in fashion.

Nay, do not think I am unflattering. I am just a servant of the castle.” Horatio was humble about that. “For what advancement may I hope from thee hat no revenue hast but thy good spirits to feed and clothe thee?”

Horatio knew that Hamlet was without any acts that pay while in the castle. And yet he spends on the suit for him.

“Nay, do not think I flatter, for what advancement may I hope from thee.” Hamlet leaned over to whisper at the ears. “You are humbly my friend and not a servant to be seen by them “

“Why should ….. the poor not be flattered? You are my friend, and your image shall be with f mine. We stand as peers tonight.”

“Indeed, we are friends.” Horatio felt the honor to be called that, and not a servant.

“Let the candied tongue lick absurd pomp and crook the pregnant hinges of the knee where thrift may follow fawning. Dost thou hear?” Hamlet spoke of the flat flattery of those who hailed him only to get some praise from him. “I have only your trust.”

“Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice”, Hamlet thought of Ophelia. “And could of men distinguish, her election hath sealed thee for herself.”

Hamlet could not rely on Ophelia whose choice was her own to live with, Polonius intervened there, on her will. There will be no interference from him. He had declared himself freed of her. 

“A man that Fortune’s buffets and rewards hast taken with equal thanks; and blessed are those whose blood and judgment are so well commended.” Hamler believed in Horatio not to be taken in by the influence like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern; paved the acts by the wealth of the Emperor; a relationship shared now distance aside like the bowels dispensed of its contents.

“They are no more my friends than the loads deposited in the sewers, unworthy to be kept.  I won’t be tempted no more.” Hamlet sighed to himself.

“Give me that man that is not passion’s slave, and I will wear him in my heart’s core, ay, in my heart of heart,
As I do thee of thee.” Hamlet does love Horatio for the years they were together. “You have been my anchor in the port.”

“As I do, my Prince.” Horatio smiled at the Prince.

“There is a play tonight before the … Emperor,” Hamlet told Horatio.

“As I am told.” Horatio nodded.

“One scene of it comes near the circumstance which I have told thee of my father’s death. I prythee, when thou seest that act afoot, even with the very comment of thy soul, observe the Emperor. If his occulted guilt does not itself unkennel in one speech, it is a damnèd ghost that we have seen, and my imaginations are as foul as Vulcan’s stithy.” Hamlet looked away in anger. “The devil was doing its work then.”

“But give him the heedful note, for mine eyes will rivet to his face, and, after, we will both our judgments join
In censure of his seeming.” Hamlet added. “The Emperor may father in his act if he is whom we assumed to be the guilty.”

“Well, my lord. If he steals aught the whilst this play is playing. And escape detecting, I will pay the heft.” Horatio pledged to his Prince to be vigilant or be punished if he fails.

“They are coming to the play. I must be idle.” Hamlet told Horatio. “Get you a place with the grandest of the view.”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...