Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 2

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Two

The audience arrived

Polonius, Guildenstern, and Rosencrantz were the first to arrive. They looked at the décor and held not their comments.

“A drab for a play. Where are the garlands of flowers that normally side-lined the walls? And what are these? A row of lilac; white in the shades they are? Are we back to mourning?” Polonius will halt his scorn then. “Madness prevailed.”

“It’s a murder play, and the flowers may lend themselves to the tragedy there.” Rosencrantz had done similar plays and the theatre has changed the décor to that of a funeral home. “He may have borrowed the idea from one of my other plays.”

Which one? The one where you played Imogen and Fidele; appearing as male when it’s a female role.” Guildenstern looked at the other. “It was a queer play by a queer crew for the more queer audience but the money was good.” It was the play Cymbeline that Rosencrantz was to play the lead in an amusing manner.

“Do not call them queer as it would identify us with them. They are an audience and needed to see only males in the act. And the money was worth it.” Rosencrantz cried out.

“And you rose to the occasion.” Guildenstern held out the insult. “What was only to me was seen by all.”

“It was your act, but you made me do it.” Rosencrantz had objected to the play’s call.

“Well, I held the masculine physique, while your lack of curves, still more feline appealed to them.”

“Yes, I could tell by their encore. Outstanding to the forestanding. I have to admit it was enticing hence I could not act what was displayed.” Rosencrantz smiled. “You did live to your role later then.”

“We did the encore and celebrated our fun lavishly. It wasn’t the Ritz but the wine was well deserved.” Rosencrantz smiled. It was a rare outing for him in the small circle of plays where the audience wants the play done differently, and they did it with naught of covers on their frame. It was named art de natural; the Greeks and Romans did it before.

“Hush, you two. Hamlet approaches.: Polonius called out.

“How now, my lord, will the King hear this piece of work?” Hamlet inquired.

“The …dead King may find it …. Theatrically sound, but alas, the play is attended by the Emperor and madam, I held no comments on their view.” Polonius decided not to judge but let the jury decide.

“Then we shall view them as the acts unfold. The audience shall be watched.”

“Watched?” Rosencrantz was baffled. “Did he see us then? He was one with us then.”

“I shan’t know. I was watching you all the time.” Guildenstern admitted his love for only Rosencrantz.

“May we ask?” Rosencrantz was to ask but Hamlet had moved on.

“Bid the players make haste.” Hamlet approached the players. “We will soon have the call soon ….to watch.”

Polonius exits to attend to the Emperor and madam.

“Will you two help to hasten them? I don’t want to be late on the call.” Hamlet called on Rosencrantz. “Their dressing is tardy at times. Bend them well, my dear.”

“Ay, my lord.” Rosencrantz smiled before he looked to Guildenstern. “I think he was. He called me my dear. He always did when he was at my rear. Bend them well, my dear he will say.”

“Can we move on? I need to pee.” Guildenstern pleaded.

“Shall I hose it for you, my dear? Rosencrantz imitated Hamlet.

“Bend them well, my dear. I need to holster it more.” They both laughed and left the Hall..


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...