Monday, March 20, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 2 Scene 2 Sub Scene 3

Act Two

Act Two Scene Two

Sub Scene Three

The dis-placed outlaw father.

Polonius looked to the departing duo before he took on his role as an adviser or the Great Chamberlain.

“This business is well ended, my liege, and madam, to expostulate,” Polonius picked his words then.

“What majesty should be, what duty is, Why day is the day, night night, and time is time?” Polonius paused in his words, to catch his breath. “I am not getting younger at this.”

“Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time.” Polonius shook his head as it was time-wasting. “Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief.”

Gertrude had on the expression of ‘were you not?’ but Claudius was keen to hear it all. She frowned deeply when the so-named Great Chamberlain looked at her.

“Your noble son is mad.” A stinging accusation that was delivered with no remorse like the healer telling you your health will fail in hours.

“Mad” calls it to define true madness.” Polonius drew on the staunch voice of the father like there.

“What is it but to be nothing else but mad?” Polonius went into a stately round of ‘how should I tell you now?’

“But let that go…..” Polonius added but was cut off by the mother of the said child.

“More matter with less art, please. It’s my son we are talking about.” Gertrude was upset.

“Madam, I swear I use no art at all.” Polonius placed his ‘playwright’ expression as if he did it there in the words.

“That he’s mad, ’tis true; ’tis true ’tis pity, and pity’s true—a foolish figure, but farewell it, for I will use no art.” Polonius looked away from the mother. An aversion of guilt or perhaps the glare of a woman scorned on being accused of having a mad son.

“Mad let us grant him then, and now remains that we find out the cause of this effect, 0r, rather say, the cause of this defect.” Polonius looked to the mother “No disrespect, madam. For this effect, defective comes by cause. thus it remains, and the remainder thus.”

“I share with you, madam. I have a daughter; have while she is still mine, who, in her duty and obedience, mark,
hath given me this.” Polonius pulled the letters he had gotten from Ophelia.

“Now gather and surmise.” Polonius put on his voice to read the contents.

"To the celestial, and my soul’s idol, the most beautified Ophelia…” Polonius looked from the letter to ther mother. “That’s an ill phrase, a vile phrase; “beautified” is a … that’s an ill phrase, a vile phrase; “beautified” is a vile phrase.”

“But you shall hear thus now, as read.” Polonius looked at the letter to its content. “In her excellent white bosom, these, etc.—"

“Come, come, my dear Polonius. Could that come this from Hamlet to her?”

“Good madam, stay awhile. I will be faithful.” Polonius looked back at the letter. “Doubt thou the stars are fire,
doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.”

“Hamlet claims so?” Gertrude smiled.

“O dear Ophelia, I am ill at these numbers. I have not art to reckon my groans, but that I love thee best.” Polonius sneered his expression. “Love has he concurred himself.

“O best, believe it. Adieu.” Polonius ended his reading.

“Thine evermore, most dear lady, whilst this machine is to him, Hamlet. This, in obedience, hath my daughter has shown me, and more above, hath his solicitings, as they fell out by time, by means, and place.”

“Your daughter in love by Hamlet?” Gertrude sounded most pleasing. “I would have never known. There were said to be loving doves, but the sending of the boy away; they did meet on occasions but never in my sight though I was told that they were close. Maybe like doves, they may be loving but to ….”

“All given to mine ear.” Polonius turned from the mother to the adopted father who gave him his reply.

“But how hath she received his love? As loving doves do?”

“What do you think of me?” Polonius held a painful expression then.

“As of a man faithful and honorable.” Claudius looked to the Great Chamberlain.

“I would fain prove so. But what might you think, when I had seen this hot love on the wing.” Polonius looked to the mother as if to see her reaction. He found none that he liked.

“As I perceived it, I must tell you that, before my daughter told me, what might you, or my dear Majesty your queen here, think if I had played the desk or table book  or  given my heart a winking, mute and dumb….”

“Tell us, did she receive his love?” Claudius was impatient to hear the verdict.

“Or given my heart a winking, mute and dumb,’ The playwright lamented. “Or looked upon this love with idle sight?”

“What might you think?” Gertrude asked.

“No, I went around to work, and my young mistress thus I did bespeak: Young Hamlet is a prince, out of thy star. This must not be. And then I prescripts gave her, that she should lock herself from his resort, allowed no messengers, receive no tokens.”

“Why?” Claudius asked but the Great Chamberlain ignored him. “She is with us for years. I know her well. Why deny their love, if it’s there?”

“Which done, she took the fruits of my advice, and he, repelled.” Polonius ignored the Emperor’s pleas. He cut the tale to conclude. “Fell into sadness then into a fast,”

“Did Hamlet repel her? I hear he does not eat of late?” Claudius asked.

“I hear only nectar and wine. His appetite may had moved.” Gertrude replied. Her thoughts went to the dead King, her husband and yet no more then for she was wedded to Claudius.

“If my appetite had moved, so will he…I think.” Gertrude thought of the possibilities.

“Ahem….” Polonius drew the audience back. “thence to a watch, thence into a weakness, thence to a lightness, and, by this declension, into the madness wherein now he raves ….with madness and all we mourn for.”

“Do you think ’tis this?” Gertrude looked at Claudius. “He’s mad?”

“It may be, very like,” Claudius replied. “Love is potent .”

“Hath there been such a time (I would fain know that) that I have positively said “’Tis so,” Where it proved otherwise?” Polonius drew attention to himself to drive forth his claim.

“Not that I know.” Claudius looked at Polonius. “I found my love to keep.”

“Take this from this, if this is otherwise. If circumstances lead me, I will find where truth is hidden, though it were hidden, indeed, within the center.”

“How may we try it further?

“Which? The unrequited love or the madness? You know sometimes he walks for four hours together here in the corridors.”

“So he does indeed.” Gertrude nodded. “He speaks to himself. Maybe he is reading a new script.”

“At such a time I’ll lose my daughter to him.” Polonius ignored the last remarks of the mother. Actors do recite their lines anywhere and anytime to get into the character. Does madness do that to the mind?

“To the King. Be you and I behind an arras then.” Polonius looked at Claudius as if the other had any children. “Mark the encounter. If he loves her not, and be not from his reason fallen thereon, let me be no assistant for a state, but keep a farm and carters.”

But keep a farm and carters in none-playwright terms meant to let me not be an important counselor in matters of state, but run a farm and employ common laborers. In layman's terms, he takes no responsibility although he held ownership.

“We will try it.” Claudius sighed while reaching out to Gertrude’s hand.


  

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...