Monday, March 13, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 58

 58

 

“Announcing the arrival of Lord Gorlois and Lady Igraine of Cornwall.” The servant handling the guests' arrival called. Lord Gorlois walked in with the lady in the rear. It was a huge gathering with the hall filled to the edge with tables laden with food and drinks, and the musicians offering the gaily tune there.

Lord Gorlois dressed in the daring red knee-length coat over his yellow tunic and leggings, had on the hat with the flume feather looked to his beautiful lady; Lady Igraine in a light blue neck high gown with a tight bodice laced with the flowery motifs. She wore a beautiful dark blue tiara on her hair.

“Lord Gorlois, I am glad that you could make it.” Lord Eidol greeted the younger Lord. The former was still in the favor of the King, although he hardly rides to battle. He knew that Lord Gorlois was the favored then and took the opportunity to get close to him.

“How are you, my Lady?” Lord Eidol bowed to Lady Igraine. “I am ever pleased to meet you, Lady….? “Truly your name eludes me but not your beauty.”

“Lady Igraine, it’s.”

“A lovely name for an exceptional beauty.” Lord Eidol smiled before he looked at Lord Gorlois.”You have a splendid lady to accompany you. You must see the King. He awaits you at the table.”

The reaction of King Uther was the same as Lord Eidol.

“I am most pleased to finally meet you, Lady Igraine.” The King bowed to the beauty before him. “Your beauty is beyond the words I can describe you.”

“Please be seated next to me” The King offered the lady the seat. “Lord Gorlois, you may sit by me on the other side. We have much to celebrate tonight.”

The Lord and his lady were split by the King who sat in between. The feast began then, and the King was most hospitable to the lady than to his other guests.

“Musicians, do play some tunes which we can dance to.” The King called out and the musical tone of the evening. The tables were cleared and the area to dance was cleaned. The King then offered to dance with the lady without asking the Lord for his permission. Lady Igraine looked to the Lord who was most accommodating to the King.

“Shall we?” The King led the lady to the dance floor, and the music tempo picked up. The couple danced by themselves with the others standing in a ring around them. The King was dancing with his arms around the lady much to her discomfort, and many times, she looked at her Lord who avoided her gaze.

“My King, I must be excused. I am in need to use the chamber. May I?” Lady Igraine asked to be excused.

“Yes, you can be.” The King directed the servants to bring Lady Igraine to his chamber. “It’s cleaner there.”

The lady took leave while the King joined the Lords. He was then seen to excuse himself.

“I need to go to the chamber too.” The King left the hall. He reached the chamber where his servant had latched the door to his chamber. It was unlatched when he arrived. He met the distraught lady inside.

“My King, the door was jammed.” Lady Igraine was alarmed then. “I must return to my Lord.”

“Do stay calm, my dear.” The King may have taken one too many goblets of mead. “I will send words to the Lord. You must rest here.”

The lady was led to the nearby bedding but she declined and took her seat on the chair. The King then moved to the chamber pot and without regard to the lady, he loosen his leggings to urinate then. The lady was embarrassed and looked away to the closed door.

“Silly of me. I have wet myself.” The King paraded past the lady to retrieve a new pair of leggings.

“My King, I have to leave. I am unwell today.” Lady Igraine said to the King.

“Oh, then you must lay on the bedding. I will send for the healers.” The King rushed over without putting on his leggings.

“My King, you …” Lady Igraine looked away.

“Oh, silly me. It’s okay. Consider me like your Lord. We are about the same.” The King continued leading the lady to the bedding but she declined.

“I must leave now.” Lady Igraine insists. “It’s improper.”

Lady Igraine proceeded to the door. She pulled at the door and the servant outside thought it was the King. He unlatched the door and when opening, it was the lady who stormed out. The servant looked inside and saw the King standing there half-dressed.

“Imbecile! Have you not seen one before like mine? Close the door or I shall your’ now.”

“No, my King.” The servant closed the door. She was not the same as the King.

Lady Igraine joined her Lord and asked to leave.

“I will tell you on the way home.” Lady Igraine was upset.

The King later joined the gathering and was upset that Lord Gorlois was not there. He called off the feast and looked at Lord Eidol.

“I want Lord Gorlois to attend to me tomorrow, or I will wage war on him.” The King looked at the others there. “Lord Gorlois insulted my honor as King.”

When the Lord and lady reached their castle. Lady Igraine told the Lord of her predicament when they were in their chamber.

“Impudent manners for a King!” Lord Gorlois was annoyed at the King’s indiscretion with his lady. “I had fought for him and this is how he treats me.”

“My Sire, I did not tempt him.’ Lady Igraine looked toward her lover. “I am pure with you. He came onto me like…. A drunkard.”

Gorlois held his lover in his arms.

“You have done no wrong, Lady Igraine. I am just ….horrifeid at the manner of the King. It’s unbecoming of him. I once heard of the pretender, Vortigern with such manners but never of Uther or his brother, Aurelius."

“Sire, please hold me closer. I am scared.” Lady Igraine leaned onto her lover. “I had… “

“Hush, my love. I will protect you with my life.” Lord Gorlois assured the lady.

“Thank you, Sire.” Lady Igraine snuggled up to her lover. “Sire, I want you … here now.”

Lord Gorlois felt the warmth of his lover and rose to the occasion.

It was to be their last consummation for at dawn, Lord Gorlois was advised that an army led by King Uther was approaching his castle.

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...