Monday, March 13, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 62

 62

 

King Uther leaned on his saddle and looked to the one place he was not to step in. he rode there every season to check on the castle there.

“My King, Tintagel stand well.” The mason assigned to maintaining the upkeep said to the King. “The Lady is fine. She has given birth but I am unsure of the condition of the child.”

“Unsure?”

“Yes, my King. The servants won’t say on the birth. They are scared of her.” The mason looked to the King for any sign of annoyance.

“What is the news on the barbarians here?” Uther asked. He was still involved in the war with the barbarians. The retreat of the Romans had given concessions to the local Kings and Lords to occupy.

“They have not been seen yet. We have a detachment at Dimilioc. They can …”

“Too far. Tintagel is by the coast. If the barbarians land there, they can raid the castle and leave even before those guards can reached.” King Uther was disappointed.

“I will inform the local commander of this. Where should they go to then?” It was an awkward question by the mason, and that irk the King. Uther ignored the remark and rode off.

At that moment, Lady Igraine was lying on the bedding with her face averted from the young baby she had given birth. Her servant was in attendance to bathe the baby.

“Shall I leave him next to you, my Lady?”

“No, leave him in the crib.” Lady Igraine refused to hold the baby. She knew from the servant that it was  a boy but she was unsure of the father of the baby. The servant left the chamber, and another voice spoke to her.

“You called for me, my Lady?” It was Merlin. He appeared from the dark corner in the simple knee length tunic and sandals with the satchel bag over his shoulder.

“Were you …”

“No, my Lady. I had just arrived. I did not intrude on your modesty here.” Merlin approached the crib. “I’'s a …”

“Stop! I don’t want to know. Give it away. It’s not my child.” Lady Igraine cried out in tears. “It’s a demon child.”

“I will give him away to a … family that…” Merlin said but was cut off by the lady.

“Do it. Don’t tell me who. I don’t have this ….demon.”

Merlin leaned to pick up the baby, and then as he was to walk away, Lady Igraine voiced out.

“Druid, please…. Arrange for my girl, Elaine. Send her to a good family and watched her grow well.” Lady Igraine pleaded. “Please do it for me.”

“My lady, there may not be …”

“Do it, druid. I am at the end of my …misery. I want to end it all.” Lady Igraine expressed her desire.

“What of Uther? He comes every season but…” Merlin was trying to patch things up.

“He stayed at the hill and watched. He won’t ride in and even leave a word to my ears. I shall not forgive him.” Lady Igraine turned to glare at Merlin. “He is your demon now.”

When she saw the baby cradled by the druid, her tears flowed down. She wanted to reach out for the baby but resisted.

“Take them all away.” Lady Igraine turned her back.

“Lady Igraine, you must understand Uther’s …”

“I may or may not. Till then, I am not yet. Let it be, druid. You are not his guardian.” Lady Igraine sighed. “He destroyed my love.”

Merlin did as was to be done.

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...