Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 9

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Nine

The accusation of the accused

“The fear of death is something that occurs between the ego and the superego, and makes its appearance under two conditions: a reaction to an external danger and as an internal process, as in melancholia,” Hamlet told Horatio when they were the ones only ones in the Hall. Everyone had left; some were astounded, some upset, why can’t they speak English all others; and sadly some were angered by the play. Those included the Lenten Players.

“I guess it’s time to move on again.” The players lament their lack of roots in any location. Such is the plight of the players ever looking for the stage.

“Melancholia? I think the word evades my understanding. “Horatio looked to Hamlet.

“It’s depression. It’s mine. I was with myself; undecisive but not anymore.” Hamlet smiled. “The wounded deer go and weep and let the uninjured heart play because some must watch while others sleep – that’s the way of the world.”

“Wouldn’t that speech, together with a rich costume and two rosettes on my shoes, get me a job as an actor if everything else fails?” Hamlet smiled. “The last avenue to get some food into us; our voice may lend us then if nothing works.”

Well, at least half a share,’ said Horatio. “I can be your page.”

‘A whole one, I,’ said Hamlet. ‘Because you should know by now, my fellow Dane, that this kingdom has lost Jove himself and is now ruled by a peacock that struts like an Emperor…not without clothes, but drab in guilt seen by others.”

“You might have used some rhyming!” Horatio cautioned Hamlet. “Words whispered in these walls.”

“Plain is my accusations now. Oh, good Horatio. I’ll take the ghost’s word for a bet of a thousand pounds. Did you see?’

“My lord.” Horatio nodded.

“When he talked of poisoning?” Hamlet raved on. “I saw everything even in the dim light. As it was when then ghost told me.”

“I need to be celebrated now.” Hamlet ran elatedly to the door and called out.

“Some music! Come, the recorders! If the king doesn’t like the play then he doesn’t like it. Come, some music for I am cheerful now.”

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern appeared and Hamlet grinned at them.

“My good lord,” said Guildenstern. “Can I have a word?”

“Sir, you can have a complete history,” said Hamlet. “Need I remind you of trust among friends? I did stand behind you …No, it was Rosencrantz, while you dally behind me. We had each other’s back then.”

“The Emperor, sir…” Guildenstern begged to be heard.

‘Yes, the one who said he is the Emperor. What about him? Has he died laid like Caesar? Poisoned from the play? Caesar was not.”

“In his chamber, seriously unwell,” Rosencrantz added.

“Drinking his wine to quell his true guilt?” Hamlet chuckled there. “As if drinking may clear our guilt.”

“No, my lord, angry, rather.” Rosencrantz seemingly crafted to sneak in a word or two on the conversation.

“You would be wiser to tell him, I am the doctor; it would perhaps plunge him into a far greater …. Anger I will attest..”

“My good lord,” Guildenstern ay tethers then, “pay attention and don’t change imply more than there was.”

“You act like his true son. Perhaps as respect to the Emperor, and to the son, I will.” Hamlet nodded. “As knave will to their lords. I’m listening, sir. Talk.”

“Your mother is very upset and has sent me to you.”

Hamlet bowed elaborately. ‘You are welcome,’ he said.”Mother never calls on me for all matters that needed our love but scalding on the soul.”

“I am sure she meant well for you,” Guildenstern assured Hamlet.

“As if you knew her. Did you perhaps share her bed and listened to her bedtime tale? I hardly remember mine.”

“No, my lord, this mock courtesy is inappropriate. If you would like to give me a proper answer I will be able to deliver your mother’s message. If not, your dismissal of me and my return will end my business.”

“Sir, I can’t.”

“Can’t what, my lord?” Guildenstern needed the reply to the mother. It was the punishment to be the emissary there, but as always, a message must be replied to.

“Did you not know I am stricken with ….madness? Do you know what is that? I will give you my book to read.” Hamlet looked at Guildenstern. “ It may give you a proper answer.”

“But, sir, whatever answer my mother desires I can give I will give you or, rather, as you’ve said, my mother. So, no more of this, but to the point. My mother, you say …” Hamlet frowns his expression with his right hand cradling his jaw thinking of the reply.

“Then this is what she says: your behavior has amazed and astonished her.” Rosencrantz may be witty at times, and plain dumb like an ass to be admonished by the stud.

‘Oh wonderful son, that can astonish a mother like this! But isn’t there something else that follows this mother’s amazement? Tell me.”

“She wants to talk to you in her chamber before you go to bed.” Guildenstern said. “Here’s a letter from the Emperor for you. Read it later.”

“We will obey even if she were ten times our mother and ….father. Do you have any more business with us?” Guildenstern turned but Rosencrantz lingered.

“My lord,” Rosencrantz said. “You loved me once.”

(The above lines were borrowed lavishly from https://nosweatshakespeare.com/plays/modern-hamlet/act-3-scene-2/. I humbly declared here, and sincerely apologize for it. I had a tiring day of work and reading the original passages did not help much until the above reading assisted me to adapt here. My thanks and salutation.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...