Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 4

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Four

The corral soon filled.

The Emperor with the madam arrives with an entourage of guests that also included leading members of the servants. Alas, the notice to the play was considered short in date to plan, and its purpose was … unmeaningful except to amuse the Prince. the one with the affliction to be considered to be mad, and soon to be shipped out to England.

“Let him be amused, and I was told that we held wooden benches for stools? Never the comfort accorded to any guests, but do fill the hall with our own so that they may be amused to a play by the Prince.” The Emperor had told the Great Chamberlain. They came in a long line, doing their cutesy to the Madam before taking their seats.

“I have not been to a play before.” One servant voiced out.

“Do they serve wine there?” The repairman of the steamers asked.

“You can feed on my mammaries if you desire, but tempt not me with your salty squirts there.” The milkmaid replied. “I have done my loosening enough.”

“Bless thee, Maid. I am sure you can still count your sows, while I have lost my feel of which are mine.” The raunchy gardener added. “Too many blooms I have in my beds, I lost count of which their seedlings.” 

“Hush!” The call went out when the benches were filled to the brim with the haunches comfortably used to it.

“How fares our cousin Hamlet?” Claudius having taken his comfy seat on the throne, saw Hamlet approach.

“Cousin?” Hamlet looked to the Emperor. “Narry a son now?”

“I was asking Rosencrantz here. They deemed themselves close to you like siblings.” Claudius motioned to the two apprentices of his seat at the side. “The three of you were close.”

“Excellent, i’ faith, of the chameleon’s dish. I eat the air, promise-crammed. You cannot feed capons so.” Hamlet called them his cousins out. Capon is a chicken castrated to fatten it for slaughter.

“Did he calls us capon? I resent that.” Rosencrantz whispered his displeasure to the Guildenstern. “I am not.”

“I have nothing with this answer, Hamlet. “ Claudius clawed back his words. “It was told to me that the three of you were close. These words are not mine.”

Claudius looked to Polonius for advice but the other had looked away.

“Polonius, you old fool. Your tenure may end soon.” Claudius said to himself.

“No, nor mine now.” Hamlet smiled. He had just slammed the nail into the coffin of the duo who claims to know him. He moved to address Polonius/

“My lord, you played once i’ th’ university, you say?”Hamlet moved the subject matter.

“That did I, my lord, and was accounted a good actor.” Polonius was surprised at the question. “That was a long time ago.”

It was Polonius's amateur venture into the plays and found his true calling was behind the scenes.

“What did you enact?” Hamlet pressed on. He knew of the role told him by Ophelia.

“I did enact Julius Caesar. I was killed i’ th’ Capitol. Brutus killed me.”

“Et tu, Brute! Then fall, Caesar!” Hamlet reads the script known to him. “Liberty! Freedom! Tyranny is dead! Run hence, proclaim, cry it about the streets.”

“Some to the common pulpits, and cry out 'Liberty, freedom, and enfranchisement!'” The Main Player lends his voice to Hamlet.

“Bravo!’ The seated called out.

“Thank you”, Hamlet bowed to the seated guests. He then looked at Polonius.

“It was a brute part of him to kill so capital a calf there.” Hamlet looked at Polonius.

“I ….: Polonius was to tell that he was only good for the supporting role, but Hamlet was on his call to the players.

“Be the players ready?” Hamlet saw the players had retreated to the rear of the stage.

“Ay, my lord. They stay upon your patience.” Rosencrantz trying to win back favors with Hamlet. The Prince ignored him when the mother gestured.

“Come hither, my dear Hamlet, sit by me.”

“No, good mother. Here’s a metal more attractive.” Hamlet took a place near Ophelia. “Lady, shall I lie in your lap?”

“No, my lord. It will be improper.”

“I mean, my head upon your lap? Surely, only my head to rest, and may your father not frown.”

“Ay, my lord.” Ophelia relented on the wishes.

“Do you think I meant country matters?” Hamlet sat by Ophelia’s legs. He spoke of the borders that one may

“I think nothing, my lord.” Ophelia moved to end the conversation but Hamlet was ever insistent.

“That’s a fair thought to lie between maids’ legs.” Hamlet rested his head on her left thigh.

“What is, my lord?” Ophelia moved her legs together.

“Nothing.”

“You are merry, my lord.”

“O God, your only jig-maker. What should a man do but be merry? For look, you may now, how cheerfully my mother looks, and my father died within ’s ….. two moons?”

“Nay, ’tis twice two months, my lord.” Ophelia reminded the Prince.

“So long? Nay, then, let the devil wear black, for I’ll have a suit of sables. O heavens, die two months ago, and not forgotten yet? Then there’s hope a great man’s memory may outlive his life half a year.” A reasonable mourning period if not that full year.  

“But, by ’r Lady, he must build churches, then, or else shall he suffer not thinking on, with the hobby-horse, whose epitaph is “For oh, for oh, the hobby-horse is forgotten.”

The wooden horse was indeed forgotten when the steamers rode the streets, be it four wheels or two. The horse was replaced by metallic contraptions, cleaner for they leave no dung but the pollution above the chimneys was foul. We advanced from feet to hoofs, and from there to wheels,  but with every turn, we caused mother earth to suffocate.

“A rightful right made into a heresy of sorts by another.” Hamlet called out to Polonius. :Nevermind, you need not reply. The play begins now.”

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...