Monday, March 13, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 50

 50

 

“My King, I was hasty.” Uther prostrated before his brother whom he met at the tent reserved for the King. “I …”

“You did no wrong, Uther. You protected my kingdom.” Aurelius having rested there did partake in the battle to rally the warriors. He was guarded by the Lords, and eventually, sent to rest in the tent.

“It’s my health of late which was bad.” Aurelius smile at Uther. “Be it you or me, we are still brothers in blood and we shared this kingdom as one.”

“I should have told you first.” Uther was most apologetic.

“How could you? The Lords were around me as if I was to choose a Queen from their daughters. They were …” Aurelius turned to cough to clear his air passage.

“I shall send for the healer.” Uther stood up but Aurelius stopped him.

“Get me a goblet of mead. We shall celebrate here as brothers.” Aurelius told his brother. The toast was made and then Aurelius asked of the druid.

“I did not see him here, my King. That druid is a queer person with his mind and head in different directions.” Uther mocked the person they knew as Merlin.

“He is the druid and his services have rendered us well.” Aurelius laughed. “I had known him long but he still eludes me of his quest.”

“What quest, my ..brother?” Uther asked. “Was it the one of looking for the King of Kings? He mocks you.”

“Nay, he is indeed on that quest, but I doubt I am the King of the Kings. I humbly decline. However, I am still King. As you will be one day, be here as King or in a new kingdom.” Aurelius told Uther.

“Why are we having this talk, Aurelius? You are unwell but not dying. Are you …”

“No, Uther, I will be fine. It's just that we seldom speak like brothers since Constan left us. We used to play and hunt together.” Aurelius laughed.

“Hunt? You were busy with your star gazing while looking at the trails.” Uther corrected his brother.

“Yes, I was. Star gazing was my other interest.” Aurelius nodded. “I never expected to be King. It was always Constan who father had his mind on.”

“But you did. And you are a wonderful King. You could battle and decide on the administration.” Uthre praised his brother. “And …”

“Hold your flattery, Uther. Nothing is as predicted or at times planned. Our destiny is hidden from us till the moment it was to surface. I may be King like Constan and even our father but don’t you ever forget, they will die and another King will be crowned. Nothing is forever. I may die one day and then you can be King.”

“Why do you speak of death, Aurelius? Are you in any fear?” Uther asked.

“Nay, it’s just the journey of life. I will die, but how remains to be known.” Aurelius took a sip of the mead. “Our father died on his bedding; stricken with sickness. Constan died in a harsh manner killed by the … pretender to the throne. Not all Kings die peacefully. I am not sure of mine but I will like to die with the sword in my hand. Like a King.”

“And you will…I mean not necessarily in battle but still as King.: Uther corrected himself. “As long as I live, none will harm you, Aurelius. I promise you.”

Promises are never kept, or could it be, remains open to many.

“I promised them wealth, and they had it when they were confronted by the army, they fled like cowards.” Pascentius having reached Ireland had taken refuge in the castle of King Gillomanius. He met the King on one of the mornings to air his grievances. The other sat there trying to enjoy his morning spread with the food twirling in his mouth.

“They are …” Pascentius was interrupted by the King.

“Mercenaries…they are. Their loyalty melt like gold in the fire.” King Gillomanius spat the remnants of the food from his mouth. He then reached in with his right index finger to scrape the morsel left behind.

“The meat nowadays is tougher.” King Gillomanius cursed out. “Where is my mead?”

“King Gilllomanius, we cannot take this insult to our ….reputation as …”

“King? You are not one …. Not yet anyway.” King Gillomanius looked at his guest. “Are you saying I am to assist? “

“No, King Gillomanius. You are most generous but I was to say we need to consolidate our army to fight the Briton. Both of us held a dislike of their King. Yours for stealing your stones, and mine for the killing of my father, Vortigern.”

“United, we may stand ….You meant we will win.” King Gillomanius looked at the other. “Do they feed you well there…in your exile?”

“I do have my meals but …. King Gillomanius, we need to claim back what is ours.”

“Let me think.” King Gillomanius pulled the bone from his mouth.

“Think but not too long. King Aurelius is ill. He may die soon.” The King was told. That stopped the King from eating.

“Tell me more.” The King then looked to his servant. “Clear the table now. And behead the chef. His meals are dis-tasteful.”

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...