Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 2 Sub-Scene 6

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Two

Sub Scene Six

The curtain raises (1)

The Main Player steps up to the stage, dressed in the flashy suit provided by Hamlet. He then took the attention of the audience to the play.

“For us and our tragedy, Here stooping to your clemency, We beg your hearing patiently.” The main player bowed to the audience and then a hush was among them.

“Is this a prologue or the posy of a ring?” Hamlet looked at Ophelia.

“Posy of a ring? I have not any of yours.” Ophelia hammered Hamlet then. “A prologue perhaps but a prologue of us is unneeded. As there was none on a ring, none it will be the tree trunks.”

Writing love commitments was a fave then the carving on the tree trunks.

“You do read aplenty but shallow is your understanding.” Hamlet looked at Ophelia. “The tree stands there longer than most lovers.”

“Understanding you have been …. too brief, my lord. I can’t tell if you ever knew ….love..” Ophelia replied if Hamlet was to talk of them. She understood him no more.

“As the woman’s love?” Hamlet added.

“Or the man who seems to move about with his love.” Ophelia retorted back. “Our facet of love had changed with recent perspective.”

Hamlet for once was unable to reply and then the play began.

The two players took to the stage; one was the King and the other was the Queen.

“Full thirty times hath Phoebus’ cart gone round. Neptune’s salt wash and Tellus’ orbèd ground, And thirty dozen moons with borrowed sheen About the world have times twelve thirties been since love our hearts and Hymen did our hands.” The King spoke.

“You mean he broke her with his hands?’ A servant was asking his friend.

“How would I know? You were not any virgin when we did it.” Whispers of hush went out around.

“Playing to the non-learned was like to the inmates of the zoo,” Polonius muttered to himself. “It’s also like un-regained grounds in a long drought.”

“So many journeys may the sun and moon make us again count o’er ere love be done! But woe is me! You are so sick of late, so far from cheer and your former state, that I distrust you.” The Queen sighed. “Yet, though I distrust, be it discomfort you, my lord, it nothing must for women fear too much, even as they love, and women’s fear and love hold quantity, in neither aught nor extremity.”

“Now what my love is, proof hath made you know, and, as my love is sized, my fear is so: Where love is great, the littlest doubts are fear; where little fears grow great, great love grows there.” The Queen looked to the King.

“Is she in love or not?” The voice was stifled by the hush of the others.

“Faith, I must leave thee, love, and shortly too. I feel death in my soul. My operant powers their functions leave to do.” The King clutched his heart as if in pain and his heart yearn for the Queen to live on well.

“And thou shall live in this fair world behind, honored, beloved; and haply one as kind for thy husband shalt thou—” The King looked to his Queen smiling. “Another will find you soon.”

“O, confound the rest! Such love must need be treason in my breast.” The Queen called out. Her heart beats for him only.

“We have taken the vow to be forever till death do us part.” The King smiled. “If death comes, let us part as it should be.”

“Our vows are ours to hold not in our physical life, but in our souls. If there be a second let me be accurst but none shall be until I may have killed the first.” The Queen protested that she will only remarry if only her first was murdered by her.

“That’s wormwood!” Hamlet called out. Wormwood was a known elixir then to purge the digestive tract of worms. To the actors, it was meant to bring forth guilt; as in the play, it was given to the patient in preparation poured into the ear. Murder is most foul indeed.

“The instances that second marriage move; Are base respects of thrift, but none of love. A second time I kill my first when the second kisses me in bed.” The Queen sat on the stage. “I have done badly not only on his death; I have also taken another for the desire. He dies inside of me.”

“I do believe you think what now you speak, but what we do determines oft we break.” The King accepts the Queen of her words with her action. “Purpose is but the slave to memory, of violent birth, but poor validity, which now, the fruit unripe, sticks on the tree but fall unshaken when they mellow be.”

“Often our intentions are strong at first, but as time goes on they weaken, just like an apple sticks to the tree when it is unripe but falls to the ground once it ripens. The promises we make to ourselves in emotional moments lose their power once the emotion passes.” The King looks at the Queen for reality may differ from mere words.

“Love me yes, love me not.” Hamlet felt the need to add his words when he looked at the one he once loved.

“He is onto his madness once more.” Polonius rubbished the man of his love in his words inside his thoughts.  “He is more of a rotten apple even on the tree then.”

“Most necessary ’tis that we forget to pay ourselves what to ourselves is debt.” The King looked to the audience.

“Heed those words. Pay up your debts now!” Sullivan the servant roared.

“Shut him up before we indebt him to the dispensary for good.” Another servant retorted. Sullivan was damned to the pits of silence from then.


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...