Monday, March 13, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 51

 51

 

Uther stood there looking at the King who is his brother who was on the bedding. Aurelius was ill for some weeks. The healers were with the King but none could tell of his ailment.

“Prince Uther, we have no idea of what to do now. We had given him the potions, and even bleed the blood of its content, but he remained ill.” The healer told Uther.”He is weaker by the day.”

“Druid, tell me who can I bring to see to my brother?” Uther looked to Merlin.

“I am not well versed in healing. I will seek others.” Merling then took leave of the King’s chamber. He saw the gathered Lords outside there having stayed away for fear of infection and were in deep whispers.

“Be off with all of you. The King is not dead. He is only ill.” Merlin shouted at the Lords.

“How dare you address us in that manner?” One of the Lords stepped up to the druid.

“As much as I could. Beware your challenge lest I changed you into a toad before your eyes.” Merlin reached for the inside of his robe. He was seen before holding what may be seen as a wand. In actual use, he probed the surface with it in case of anything he would not touch with his fingers. Or a hole in the ground, lest a viper struck him with its fang.

“Hold your sorcery wand. We will leave now.” The Lords took leave then. Merlin took to his pursuit of a healer.

Near the coasts near the place name Menevia, now called Swansea, the sails of the invasion fleet of Pascentius and King Gillomanius were seen by the locals there.

“They are here.” The alerts sounded from the coasts to the Lords there, and scouts were sent out to advise the King. Having heard the news, Uther gathered the Lords.

“Pascentius and the Irish King have joined forces. They have set sail to our coasts.”

“Those curs are not liking their wounds as we thought they may be. Tell me of their strength and how they plan to reach us?”

“Prince Uther, as I am to know they are landing at Menevia.  What we knew from the ships load, I estimated ten thousand of them.” One of the Lords spoke out. The maps were brought out, and everyone there looked for the place mentioned.

“Who governed that land there?” Uther asked.

“My Prince, the one there is King Estregales.” Uther was told.

“Is he strong with his army?” Uther asked on. There was silence among the Lords until one voiced out.

“The King is an ally of ours, His land was hardly troubled by the raiders before, and if there were, he  handled it by himself.”

“He is brave. Send words to him on the invasion that will be through his land. We will reinforce him with our army.” Uther sent the scout out.

“Send words to the Druid named Merlin. He will join me in the campaign.” Uther told the servants.

The druid was visiting the healers for the cure to Aurelius and soon was told of a newly arrived healer that was nearby. Merlin set out to meet the healer.

“I am Eopa. I was told that you seek me?” Merlin looked to the so-named healer. He was dressed in a frock with the straw basket on his back. His hair was unkempt billowing in the wind and wore sandals.

“I am Merlin. I served the King of Briton.” Merlin introduced himself. “Where’s your origin?”

“I am from the north, and once served with the healer Getaxit before he passed on.” Eopa explained his origin. “I was then to wander far before I was held as a slave by the Picts. After many years, I was given the passage of freedom and returned here. It has been a long journey for me.”

“I heard you have healing powers…”

Healing powers? No. I am just a healer. I had learned from my master's and then from the Picts. They taught me many potions made of herbs that were never tried here. It works for them and here I am using it to heal the ailments of the locals.”

“As I was told.” Merlin remained skeptical on the other but he was desperate. He had been with Aurelius for a long time and believes the King may be the one he was seeking. The vision of the King of the Kings was still hazy then.

“I heard of no King that was ill. It may be that I had not ventured far beyond these hills.” Eopa voiced out. “I will try if permitted.”

That was when Merlin brought the healer to the castle.’ The healer was brought to the King. Eopa examined the King and then said that the ailment was rare but there are cures.

“The King needs some potions that I can make,” Eopa told Merlin. “But the cure needs time to take effect.”

“The potion will need to be tasted by the servant before we administer it to the King.” Merlin was cautious.

“As it would be.” The healer agreed. “I will need to find the herbs and flowers to create the potion.”

Eopa took leave of the castle and wander back to the forest. He was followed by Merlin but then the call from Uther to ride to battle.

“I am to see on the King. He needs me..”

“Nay, druid. The King has a retinue of servants and healers. He will be fine.” Uther insisted on the company of Merlin. “The healer you have brought will be handled by the other servants.”

That was how Eopa came to heal the King then.

“Who is Eopa?” The servants whispered.

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...