Sunday, April 2, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 3 Sub Scene 1

 Act Three

Act Three Scene Three

Sub Scene One

Emperor Claudius was back in the chamber when he summoned the two friends of Hamlet, and also his apprentices. They appeared before the Emperor.

“My lord, if I  may…” Rosencrantz spoke first but was cut off by the Emperor.

“I like him not, nor stands it safe with us to let his madness range. Therefore prepare yourself, a new commission I will talk with you.” Claudius looked at the duo.

“You will take him to England. I have friends there.” Claudius laid the terms of the task. “The terms of our estate may not endure hazard so near as doth hourly grow out of his brows.”

“We will ourselves provide.” Rosencrantz bowed.

“We deemed the task beyond..” Guildenstern abstained.

“It will be silver and gold I will provide.” Claudius knew the call.

“Most holy and religious fear it is to keep those many many bodies safe that life and feed upon your Majesty the Emperor.” Rosencrantz laid the praise onto the Emperor.

“We will ourselves provide. Most holy and religious fear it is to keep those many many bodies safe that life and feed upon your Majesty.” Guildenstern added.

“The single and peculiar life of the Emperor is bound with all the strength and armor of the mind To keep itself from noyance, but much more that spirit upon whose weal depends and rests the lives of many. The cess of majesty dies not alone, but like a gulf doth draw what’s near it with it, or it is a massy wheel fixed on the summit of the highest mount, to whose huge spokes ten thousand lesser things are mortised and adjoined, which, when it falls, each small annexment, petty consequence, attends the boisterous ruin. Never alone did the king .. I was to say the emperor sigh, but with a general groan.” Rosencrantz went on with praise toward the Emperor.

“Are you finished?” Claudius looked to the one who praised him so much. “Arm you, I pray you, to this speedy voyage, for we will fetter put about this fear, which now goes too free-footed.”

“We will haste us.” Rosencrantz grabbed his pride back then. “Hamlet will be curtailed by us like the last curtain in the play. End of him.”

“So be it.” Claudius dismissed the duo. It was then the Great Chamberlain arrived.

“My lord, the son going to his mother’s closet. Behind the arras, I’ll convey myself to hear the process. I’ll warrant she’ll tax him home; and, as you had said (and wisely was it said), ’Tis meet that some more audience than a mother, since nature makes them partial, should overhear the speech of vantage.”

Polonius saw that Claudius was tired. The play had taken its toll on him. An accusation by the one who is the son, in front of an audience of servants whom he faces every moment; it was more than an embarrassment; it was harassment of the soul.

“Fare you well, my liege. I’ll call upon you ere you go to bed and tell you what I know.” The Great Chamberlian knew the moment to leave was then.

Claudius did not look at the departing elderly man and devoted servant.

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...