Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 2 Scene 1 Sub Scene 2

 Act Two

Act Two Scene One

Sub Scene Two

Virtue or Virtuous?

"I'm not Meg tonight, I'm a doll' who does all sorts of crazy things. Tomorrow I shall put away my 'fuss and feathers' and be desperately good again." (Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.). Meg's wealthy friends dress her up to attend a ball, and she flirts and drinks champagne. When Laurie sees her he expresses his disapproval. She tells him to lighten up, but later feels ashamed and "confesses" to her mother that she behaved badly A poor girl getting to enjoy a party hardly seems like the worst possible behavior, but the moral code of Alcott's novel is strict.

That was the reading of Ophelia; a gift once from Hamlet to her. She had marked the passages in the book to be read many times over. To her, she could relate to the characters there. Hamlet was her friend for a long time, loving each other from a distance, or was it a perceived notion of her anyway. She was encouraged then by her father much earlier but the turn of events with the King’s death had turned the elderly man to object then.

Why the sudden change? Laertes had that some years ago when they were celebrating the coming of age as adults then.

“Why the sudden change of attitude towards Hamlet? You are his childhood friend, and upon you going to a different college, you decided he was not to be mine anymore.” Ophelia had confronted Laertes. “Has he spiked you with your friends that you demean him now?”

“No, he dares not. He is just not good enough for you.” Laertes rebuked his sister. “You deserve more.”

“Should that be my decision and not yours?” Ophelia had questioned her brother. “I have never ticked you off on your ….slutty friends.”

“Slutty? How dare you call my friends as such.” Laertes stepped up to the sister. “They are ….virtuous.”

“I am sure but soon the wines hit their brains, they are all ….slurring at best,” Ophelia said. “Their virtues are thrown wide like their …vanity.”

“I shall have this conversation with you, Ophelia. Have your caution on Hamlet. He is not whom you may …assumed. I do care for you, my sister. I love you very much. If only you could feel it.” That was Laertes's first argument of many on Hamlet with Ophelia. She will never know why Laertes disliked their childhood friend of theirs.

“I want to be like Laurie at times but I am not.” Ophelia had always maintained a virtuous image of herself. She had not kissed any other except Hamlet. It was only he who had seen her beneath her dress.

“I am virtuous.” Ophelia sighed. “Or am I not?’

It was what drove her to see her father that day. He was on the headset and she waited like the obedient daughter outside the chamber. She continued her reading on her marked passages to ease her troubled mind.

"Money is a needful and precious thing,--and, when well used, a noble thing,--but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you poor men's wives, if you were happy, beloved, contented than queens on thrones, without self-respect and peace." Another passage she marked in the book.

Money was never a contention at all. All her expenses were paid by her father, who served the King. He sent her to the best school; near to the boys then, and never once reprimanded her for any bad behaviour, which she has none. She did question the funds in her life one day to her father and his reply was close to what she read.

“Money is a needful and precious thing,--and, when well used, a noble thing,--but I never want you to think it is the first or only prize to strive for. I'd rather see you happy but trust me, money buys more happiness than love. Money can make you feel more beloved, contented like queens on thrones.”

“Father, we may have read from the same book but your lines are …different.”

“Ophelia, I am a playwriter. I have to adjust the script to the moment to appease the audience.” The proud father smiled. “The audience pays me to do so. That’s what matter to me.”

“Does it matter how we shape our view to that of the audience?” Ophelia asked.

“Do you want to act before an empty hall or one filled with an attentive audience?”

“I don’t know, Father. I am unsure.”

“That’s why you are not an actor like Laertes, or…Hamlet? They leaned to the audience.”

“Is that virtuous?” Ophelia asked.

“Being virtuous is an act that we all partake in.” The elderly man smiled. Ophelia remembered leaving her father with one thought.

“Do I love him or not?”

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...