Friday, March 10, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 2 Scene 2 Sub Scene 2

 Act Two

Act Two Scene Two

Sub Scene Two

The call to an alliance

“We may be at the end of the ailment of Hamlet soon,” Claudius assured the lover of his. It has been a long journey of hidden trysts while the King was alive, but now with the ceremony done, the acts were not to be hidden behind curtains; a manner of the speech.

“I hope so, Claudius. The son of mine is never the same after the…”

“Hush the gloom, Gertrude. I am sure he has outgrown the event with the years behind. He left as a boy and now returns as a man. Many things he may have seen or done; it may strengthen his resolve to the melancholy of life’s offerings.”

“Don’t lighten the weight of the concerns here, Claudius. He is of his father’s character; stubborn and above all, long memories.” Gertrude cautioned the other.

“He is my son now. His health is of mine to heal too.” Claudius assured the other. “We invited his friends; my apprentices to allay his ailments as a healer may do.”

“The scars of the heal may remain after those years,” Gertrude said. “He may not have awakened to it, or had now.”

Polonius then rushed in with urgency in his expression.

“My Emperor, the ambassadors from Norway, my good lord,
artfully and joyfully returned.”

“Ah, the ones I send to avoid the bloodshed. Thou still hast been the father of good news.” Claudius offered a seat to the elderly man. “Be seated, my adviser.”

“Have I, my lord? I assure you my good liege, I hold my duty as I hold my soul. Both to my God and my gracious King…..now Emperor.” Polonius corrected himself. “Old habits die harder.”

“I do think, or else this brain of mine hunts not the trail of policy so sure as it hath used to do, that I have found
the very cause of Hamlet’s lunacy.”

“O, speak of that! That do I long to hear.” Claudius was all up to the news.

“Give first admittance to th’ ambassadors. My news shall be the fruit of that great feast.” Polonius placed the call of order to discuss the state first. “I will take leave now to bring them back.”

“Thyself do grace to them and bring them in.” Claudius smiled at the departing elderly man. He turned to Gertrude who sat there looking ever concerned.

“He tells me, my dear Gertrude, he hath found the head and source of all our son’s distemper.”

“I heard but doubt it is no other but the main— his father’s death and our overhasty marriage.”

“It was not overhasty, my love. It was long overdue.” Claudius calmed the other. “Long it had taken .”

Welcome, my good friends.” Claudius greeted the return of his ambassadors to see the threat of Other Norway.

“Say, Voltemand, what from our brother of Other Norway?” Claudius is anxious about the news.

“The fairest return of greetings and desires, my Emperor.” Voltemand stood there without the offer of a seat, he took to tell of his task.

“Upon our first, he sent out to suppress his son’s levies, which to him appeared to be a preparation ’gainst the Polack but better looked into, he truly found it was against your Highness. “

“The Polacks stirred among the audiences to shame the play then?” The Polacks are another troupe of actors that had always troubled Norway and Other Norway in the arena of the stage. It was not all peaceful efforts, and violence lends itself at times with bloody noses and broken limbs to the conflict.

“Whereat grieved that so his sickness, age, and impotence, the old King, Was falsely borne in hand, sends out arrests on Fortinbras, which he, in brief, obeys.” Voltemand biowed to the Emperor. “He receives a rebuke from the elder of Other Norway, and, in fine, makes a vow before his elder never more to give the assay of arms against your Majesty.”

“Bravo!” Claudius called out.

“Whereon all of Norway, overcome with joy, offers him three-score thousand crowns in annual fee and our  commission to employ those soldiers, so levied as before, against the Polack, with an entreaty, herein further shown.” Voltemand offered a signed treaty between the two. “That it might please you to give quiet pass of it and hail your dominions for this enterprise.”

“Bravo! A task well done. I have achieved what the King was not able to do; the subjugation of Other Norway in our rule..” Claudius applauded himself.

“We take our leave now.” The two invited aides took leave of the Emperor.

 

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...