Monday, March 13, 2023

Chronicles of the Brittany Kings Chapter 56

 56


“Had I seen you before?” Uther had the one named Gorlois to meet him for a private feast.

“We fought together at Conisborough. I was with Lord Eidol, but due placed to the end of his army. I am a small Lord from Cornwall, with my detachment of a hundred over warriors. My castle is Tintagel Castle” Lord Gorlois smiled. “A small contribution compared to that of the other Lords.”

“A contribution small or huge is still one that I treasured.” Uther raised a toast with the goblet of meads.

“Aye, the support of you and much more secure my victory. I am forever indebted to all of you.” Uther smiled. He studied his guest. Gorlois was older than Uther by age and looks but he held a firm grip with his hands. He was dressed in the green garments of the nobles; the knee-length coat over the matching tunic and leggings with the wide hat. All the Lords now wore the dagger at the waist belt seen by all, after the incident with the Anglo-Saxons. It was not seen as offensive but the need then.

“Tell me, Gorlois. What is your advice on the Anglo-Saxons?”

“I am not the …” Gorlois humbly excused himself but Uther was persistent to seek his view.

“Say no excuses, Gorlois. I want to hear yours now.”

“My King.” Gorlois looked to Uther. The latter was younger yet he held the rank that the Lord was to respect. “We defeated them many times. We had done it; our army compared to the Romans fewer in numbers and …organization and yet we won.”

Gorlois looked at the King for any expression that may disagree with him. There was none.

“In the previous battles, Vortigern.” The Lord uttered the name with caution. “Vortigern gave them the concession of land…”

“And my brother did the same.” Uther cut in.

“Aye, but why?” The Lord picked his time to add. “The Anglo-Saxons are formidable warriors. They fought the Romans before coming here. They were defeated in the battles but never in their heart, the war raged on.”

“Your point of this is …” Uther left his line open.

“We must not give them a hold on our land. Not even at our hostile border. We must defeat them as we did with the Irish King and that pretender to your throne. No quarters were given.”

“I did not…” Uther added.

“A wounded prey is a dangerous one. It may recover and in time, returned for vengeance.” The Lord used the reference to the hunt. “All hunters know that.”

“Are you a hunter, Lord Gorlois?” Uther asked.

“Yes, I am or rather was. My time to hunt is few with my time spent at my castle and land. I do have my hawks to assist me in the smaller prey.”

“Hawks? I used to own one but it died. I went back to the real hunting.” Uther sighed. “Life as King does not allow me much time to hunt, let alone get a friend to go hunting.”

“We can go hunting if you want, my King.” The Lord offered his services. “My family can wait for me.”

“Yes, I forgot to ask about your family. Who is the lucky lady? And how many kids do you have?”

“Lady Igraine, that’s my lady’s name. A fine lady to wed me, and half my age. We have one daughter, Elaine.” The Lord’s smile beamed across his face. “My time as Lord kept me busy, and the battles loaned me for long days but Lady Igraine was kind to wait for me.”

“I must meet this lady of yours. She sounds like a wonderful person.” Uther laughed. “I am like you, spending my time in battles with the Anglo-Saxons, the Irish, and the errant Lords on many fronts. It’s tiresome.”

“I am sure as King, you would have many willing ladies to your bedding.” Lord Gorlois roared out in laughter.


“Plentiful, but none I desired,” Uther said. “I am …particular of my lover.”

“I had many offers…oh, truly they were offerings of the sort, but I declined. I am just particular about my choices.” Uther looked at the Lord and then verified his affinity. “I am not into the act of with another man if you are concerned.”

Lord Gorlois laughed then.

“I have seen both but I am still a lady's man.” The Lord added. “When I was wedded to Lady Igraine, I was most proud. She was half my age.”

“I know. You told me that before. You are blessed, Lord Gorlois. I must meet her someday.”

 

 

 


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...