Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 3 Scene 1 Sub-Scene 2

 Act Three

Act Three Scene One

Sub Scene Two

The scorn of lovers

The two young men on their way out were to see a young appealing lady taking their place with the Emperor and the madam.

“I wondered who may be, but justice, she may be the one that Hamlet once mentioned.” Rosencrantz turned to look at the lady who had passed them.

“Be amuse yourself, Rosencrantz but I am not to be intrigued by that.” Guildenstern continued his walk and soon caught up with each other.

“Hell freezes on your scorn to any ladies I may lay my eyes on.” Rosencrantz looked to the other. “Why do you burden our love with my roving eyes?”

“I disliked women more so the ones that held the attributes other men lusted over.” Guildenstern flared his wrath. “You are mine and only mine. I don’t care for Hamlet he grazes no more my love. Our task here is to observe and report. We shall only do that.”

“Yes, my beloved. I am yours and shall remain so.” Rosencrantz reached out to hold the other’s elbow. “Are we to our bedding now?”

“Stay your amorous quaint. I know the lust of yours is not for me now but the filly you just passed.”

“Spare me my agonizing load. I hold nothing dear than you.” Rosencrantz knew how to play his lover’s care. Without another word, they gaily walked to the chamber.

“Come in, Ophelia,” Polonius called on his daughter to meet the Emperor and madam. “They await you far too long.”

“Sweet Gertrude, leave us too,” Claudius looked to his lover. “For we have closely sent for Hamlet hither, that he, as ’there by accident, may here affront Ophelia. It’s his writing here to unravel the plot here.”

“If it's my son’s health, why shall I not be a spectator to that? Does a mother not know her children? “ Gertrude was upset.

“Her father and myself, lawful espials, “ Claudius explained the act to be seen. “Will so bestow ourselves that, seeing unseen, we may of their encounter frankly judge And gather by him, as he has behaved, if ’t be the th’ affliction of his love or no, That thus he suffers for.”

“It’s a father’s approach.” Polonius cut in. His claim there was taken alike scorn on Claudius’s feelings but Gertrude eluded his anger by agreeing.

“I shall obey you.” Gertrude was not all agreeable but relented to the calls of the men. “You are the better of us to advice.” She then turned to Ophelia. ”And for your part, Ophelia, I do wish that your good beauties be the happy cause of Hamlet’s wildness.”

“Wildness?” Ophelia held a puzzled expression.

“Woman to woman only. You are beautiful and he is handsome, and may it out naught to his ways. And purity is in you.” Gertrude was disguising her meaning to Ophelia that the young who is beautiful may win any battle.

“Did you ….” Ophelia felt that her virtues may entrap the other, or bring some reality to his current mind.

“Woman to woman only’, Gertrude confided once more to Ophelia. “It may have it values.”

“And it did once before.” Gertrude expressed her ‘did I not tell you expression at Claudius before she turned once more to Ophelia. “So shall I hope your virtues will bring him to his wonted way again, to both your honors today.”

“I am virtuous, madam, inside of me.” Ophelia ever confused had bowed to the madam. “I wish it so.”

Gertrude took herself to leave the trio with Claudius searching his mind for his lover’s meanings.

“I do beg that women have a planned script that we can all understand or baffling will be for men to do so at them.” Claudius muttered to Polonius.

“Ophelia, walk you here,” Polonius told his daughter. Hurry, he may be here soon. We will be hidden but not far from you if you need us.”

“Come, my Emperor. Our part is to remain hidden.” Polonius motioned to the other before he remembered some book that he was to give to Ophelia.

“Read on this. It’s a good book.” The father handed the daughter, the Holy Bible. That show of such an exercise may color your loneliness.—We are oft to blame in this (’Tis too much proved), that with devotion’s visage and pious action we do sugar o’er the devil himself.”

“I beg to differ, Father. I feel overboard when you think I sugar court on Hamlet when I want is the true man.” Ophelia snapped at her father as if he was accusing her of taking only the better of Hamlet and ignoring his bad features.

The father could not find the words to rebuke but the Emperor had found his true self in his misgivings.

“Aside Ophelia, ’tis too true! How smart a lash that speech doth give my conscience.” Claudius felt his cheeks giving the shades of the embarrassment of his misgivings. It was not an act but the reality had come to the surface in him.

“The harlot’s cheek beautified with plastering art Is not more ugly to the thing that helps it, that is my deed to my most painted word.” Claudius rested his eyes on the book held by the lady.

“I shall confess soon.” The sight of the book drew him to confess his misgivings.

“O heavy burden!” Claudius did some soul-searching but he was called away by Polonius.

“He cometh. We must hide.” Polonius pulled the Emperor to conceal. He looked to the distraught figure whose head was lowered to the chest.

“What has he that drew the spirit off him? I have to ask but not now.” Polonius turned to look at the arrival of his concern.

“Hamlet had come into play.”

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...