Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Hamlet; the Noir Adaption 2023 Act 2 Scene 1 Sub Scene 3

 Act Two

Act Two Scene One

Sub Scene Three

Is he mad?

“Father, I can wait no more.” Ophelia burst into the chamber of her father. He had just placed down the headset from his talk.

“What is wrong, my child?” Polonius then remembered that he was on the line with Reynaldo. “Did you overhear my conversation?”

“No, Father. I will not.” Ophelia took the seat nearby. “I sat outside to read while you were on the line. I waited and wait no more before I came in. I am so sorry, Father but I am upset.”

Polonius was relieved that his daughter may have not heard his conversation. He looked at the younger lady who was holding the book in her lap.

“What was that you were reading?” Polonius knew his daughter was always reading as part of her theology studies. She read all the volumes in the library at the castle, including the worked scripts of the plays by the King.

“Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.”

“A fine book that speaks virtuously on the good qualities of women.” Polonius smiled. “I had read …”

“Father, it’s not the book that I am to speak to you on,” Ophelia called out. “It’s Hamlet.”

“O my lord, my lord, I have been so affrighted!” Ophelia cried out to God then, not a reality for theology was her subject of interest.

“From what, in God’s name?” In turn, Polonius gave his faith an appreciation.

“Father, as I was sewing in my room, Lord Hamlet came in with his shirt unbuttoned; no hat on his head; his stockings dirty, undone, and hanging around his ankles. He was pale as his white undershirt, and his knees were knocking together. He looked so awful as if he’d just escaped from hell.”

Polonius's vision was more hideous but kept his mantle on the view to ask politely of his daughter.

“Did he strike you? Mad for thy love?”

“Father, I don’t know. But to be honest, I think he might be.” Ophelia was in tears then.

“I shall call the guards here. He must be guarded.” Polonius reacted in anger.

“No…No…..he did not harm.” Ophelia stopped her father.

“What did he say?” Polonius dreaded the answer but wanted to know so that if justice was to be served, it will be just.

“He grabbed me by the wrist and held me tightly, then backed a full arm’s length away. And, standing with his other arm raised over his forehead, he stared at my face as if studying it to draw it.” Ophelia held an expression of anxiety on her face.

“He stood like that for a long while. Then, he gently shook my arm and glancing up and down three times, and sighed so sadly it seemed like he would collapse in on himself and die.” Ophelia looked at her hands as if it still grasped by Hamlet.

“Then he let me go and walked away while staring back at me. He found his way out without looking away from me the entire time.” Ophelia raised her arms to the door. “No harm was done. No love was …. given nor received.”

“Come with me to see the king. This is the madness of love, which is an emotion so violently powerful that it can destroy itself, leading people to act as desperately and insanely as often as any other emotion known to man. I’m so sorry. Have you said anything tough or unfriendly recently?”

“No, my good lord. But I followed your commands and sent back his letters and refused to let him see me. I forbid his love on your call.”

“That has driven him crazy. I am glad you deny him of his …love.” Polonius then looked at the doorway. “I’m sorry that I didn’t observe him more closely. I feared that he was just toying with you, and did not care if he wrecked your reputation. A curse on my suspicions!”

Polonius slapped his cheeks with his hands.

“By God, it’s as common for us old people to think too much as it is for young people to think too little. Come, let’s go see the king. We have to make this matter known. Keeping it secret could cause more harm than revealing it.” Polonius pulled his daughter along. “Get me the letters that will incriminate him.”

 

 

 


 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...