Thursday, May 3, 2012

Toys Part 16

9

There is the car and its parked some twenty paces from the house but its ten paces in front of the garage. I know why parked there; so if anyone tries to escape by driving, the car blocks the exit. But right now, we don't have a car and the only one is the car they came in. I looked back to the lab and knew what to be done.

"Fire....... The lab. It contains.... Too much of our work." Martha nodded and left leaning at the doorway. She went back in the lab and spilled some chemicals on the table and floor. She turned on the gas piping and grabbed a metallic plate to put it in the mini microwave. She set it to high and walked back to me. We opened the door and walked to the car. I noticed it was unlocked and I got in to the driver seat. I reached for the wires while Martha got in the passenger seat. I stroke the wire and it start the car. It was all I need to drive but it was also to attract the Enforcer's insides.

"Hey! Stop! That's our car" The guy coming out shouting but I was reversing out to the road. It was then the lab exploded into a ball of flame but we were away down the road in a haphazard driving manner as I was still groggy. I drove to the station and ditched the car by the back of the workshop.

"Credits for train ticket?" Martha nodded and she dragged me to the platform. I was made to sit on the bench while she inquire on the tickets. She came back to see me with tickets.

"Ten minutes and its on time." For once I am glad the train was on time.

It arrived and I was feeling better as we board it. She got us a compartment and we latched it on entry. Now the train will take ten more minutes before it leaves. And that ten minutes can be very long when you are anxious for unwanted Enforcers. I can hear the sirens and the screeching of tyres but I am not looking out the window. The train is moving and we are on our way out of the country. Never too late to missed the country scene but we did catch the sunset. 

Martha explained to me that the new drug she gave me would counter the one Heptanes gave me. It would not be an immediate cure but its should neutralized the other effect. She estimated in three days, I would be free of the addiction. That is probably what Heptanes wants to do with the vessels and us; making us his personal slaves. But if I am successful in the withdrawal on the addiction, I would be free of Heptanes.

But our worries was not over.

The train stopped at an interchange and I can see three Enforcers boarding the train as it rides into the dark evening skies. The train ride back to the city would take us three hours and we only covered one hour so far.

I told Martha that we need to figure out how to evade those three Enforcers. They could be having a photo-fit of me but not of Martha. So I told her to walk to the Dinner Coach for her meal. I would see where I can hide from the Enforcers. She did as she was told but she left her bag for me. I put all my personal effects in the bag including my gun. I then opened the compartment door and walked out. I reached the end of the carriage and open the connecting door. I walked out to the open gangway as no one is expected to come out here during the ride. I saw the metal rung which will take me up to the carriage roof. I climbed onto it and was on the last rung when the carriage door opened. It was one of the Enforcer.

He saw me up there.

I ran along the roof towards the other end. It was halfway when I turned to see whether the Enforcer followed me. He did and is climbing up. The train is moving at the speed of sixty miles as we are on gradient elevation. I ran to the other end to find its gangway was covered with a interconnecting cover. I turned around to see my pursuer already up and withdrawing his gun. I unzipped the bag and reached for mine. The bullet whizzed past me as he missed. I had then drew out mine and my aim was more accurate. Well, it hit the Enforcer in the leg and he fell off the train. But his gun slide to me and I picked it up. I placed both guns in the bag and looked back at the connecting gangway. I think I can make it.

I got up and staggered back a few paces and then I jumped. I fell on the other side on my face but I held on by grabbing the sides. It was a dangerous stunt but I made it. I got up and moved along the carriage. It was by instinct I ducked as the bullet sailed over me. I looked back to see my second Enforcer on the previous carriage. He must had climbed up to check on his colleague. I ducked down and reached for my bag, I took the first gun I can find and pulled it out. I turned my body to see the Enforcer but he is already jumping over the gangway when I pulled the trigger. The body fell back against the soft cover of the gangway and he rolled over. I am sure I heard the crunching of the bones as the rail run over it.

Not time to concern on that. I move up to the end of the carriage. There is a open gangway and a metal rung to go down. I climbed down and find myself facing the Dinner Coach. I opened the door and walked in. There was only one table and its by Martha. And so was the last enforcer as he sits facing her with his back to me. She is explaining herself to him when I was coming in, She saw me but she pretended to ignore me. The Enforcer must had heard the door opened turned around to look. It was then Martha took her plate of chicken and mash to throw it on his neck.

"What the...." The guy was upset at being spilled with the food but I was to come up behind and clobbered him with the butt of the gun. I pulled the unconscious man up under his shoulder and dragged him to the door. I opened the door and pulled him out. I stood him facing the tracks before I kicked him off the train. I came back in the train and saw Martha sitting there looking pale.

"He did not pay full fare so off he goes." But she did not take comfort with my joke. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...