Thursday, May 24, 2012

To all the lads I led

To all the lads I led.

Author's Note:
Another poem for my listing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was never the same, the danger with we had then, the bullets were over our head or we wouldn’t be here.
But if did did hit us, the others were there to haul us back.
Comrades then, gallant friends later who risk it all for the same cause.

We all survived the outcome and came home to roost;
The warmth was there for a while then the wakes starts to come.
We reached out for the comfort and find more cold layers unfolded.

Soon we took the remaining journey a bottle to toast or be tossed by it
But it did not much damage that the war did not do before

Some did tried to hasten it but its not us who can do Grim Reaper's work if not himself.
Its our last stretch of the journey and still we toil in pain
To see the one and one other go by the queue.
But mine never came up until they all cleared

Then I did mine in turn through the gates,
but once through there, I see them all with their smiles.
Ever like the first time I was their Staff Sargeant,
I told them I would be the last to leave for them.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...