Monday, May 28, 2012

Crusaders Part 10

4.

Present

The sea around is filled with serpents of man sized but they are not attacking us. The sailors are all getting their weapons from the armory while the cannons are being loaded with assorted steel balls and nails. I was with my two other friends on the upper deck as I left the squire to guard the ailing priest.

"Priest, if you have a prayer, do it now. I never battle that many demon in one battle." I looked at the hordes of serpents who swims with the galleon in the middle.

"Leviathan; they are. Demons of the sea. The Leviathan is one of the seven Princes of Hell. We can only for God's intervention in his battle." I wanted to tell the priest that we are part of the God's answer to such problem. Then I thought of an idea.

"Captain, tell me you have silver ingots in this ship?" The Captain looked at me and with an irate voice replied to me.

"Yes, we have some ingots but how do we met them? Build a fire now and wait for the whole ship to burn.' I hate wise cracks at this moment but I asked him to hand me the ingots. I ran to the cook and asked his his biggest cooking pots. He brought them all out which some are about half his size. I dropped the boxes containing the silver ingots into the pots.

"Gabriel, you can hear me. Please do us the miracle." True to his words, or was it God's, a bolt of lightning struck the cooking pots and we find ourselves with pots of melted silver. I told the sailors to coat the steel balls with the silver coating and reload the cannons. Immediately some of them shook out of their daze to unscrew the cannon balls to release the steel bars. They dipped it in the melted silver and put them back in the balls.

"Do you think it would work?" I looked at Micheal who is holding onto his pistols. He has on him at least six pairs and they are all loaded with silver balls.

"I am not sure but I think it would. The idea came to me like a divine message so it would. He would not waste time telling me such trivia issue at this moment." I see the sailors are loading the grapeshot into the cannons. "But the ones we did not get to shoot would be on the deck here. So are you ready?"

The skies above us is all dark now and the sea is getting choppy with the serpents creating the artificial waves. I saw the sailors are coating their blades or cutlass with silver.

"Micheal, see those 'culverins'. Do you think you can manage them with the mini balls on the biggest of those snakes? I need a steady hand there." I point to the six 'culverins' which lined the upper decks at the stern. Micheal need no encouragement as he went over to the guns. I noticed the 'sakers' on the aft deck and assigned Baron Helmut. I was to take the middle deck and test my swing with the rapier.

"They are coming....." The shouts can be heard on and across the decks. I looked over the railing and see the serpents are moving in with their skirting over the waves.

"Fire the guns now!" The Captain shout his order and the gunners lit the wick on the guns to burn the gunpowder. The volley of grapeshot went off like a swarm of bees at the serpents. The first volley tore into the oncoming serpents but they are still coming. "Reload and fire at will"

Below deck, in the officers' quarter, a priest is kneeling with his arms on the bedding in deep prayer for a miracle. It was then the window on the deck broke open to admit in the intruders. The priest saw the slithering serpents rear their heads up to strike. But they did not as they soon focus on the transformation of a man into a beast. A beast with a large furred body and the head that resemble a wolf but he is not a wolf. He is known as the Wendigo and they are savage beasts with deadly claws. The best is also know as Clawler who now stands in between the priest and the serpents. The first serpent reared it head back and then strike out with its venom at the furred beast.

Clawler caught hold of the lunging serpent by it body before the head with its left hand while its right hand caught the middle body. It raised the serpent body to its jaws and it bit into the serpent as if its biting the chicken in the coop. It used it long sharp fangs to tear away at the flesh and then discard the dead serpent. It then grabbed another serpent who had sunk its fangs into the beast's left thigh but the beast does not howl in pain at all. It pulled the serpent out of it left thigh and pulled the head of the serpent off its body. It then faced the third serpent who has slipped by the beast to confront the priest. As the serpent lunged it body to strike the priest, it was held in mid strike by the beast holding onto its tail. The beast swung the serpent against the wooden wall and beat its head to a bloody pulp. The other serpent who just slitter in paused and decide to retreat before its also meet the similar fate.

"Oh God, what has thous sent to me? A beast from your underworld or an angel in disguise?" But the beast turned to look at its care and snarled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...