Saturday, April 28, 2012

Toys Part 10

5

"Monica, this is not what you think it is now. I am not the real Officer Butler from the Enforcer. You remember me as Harry Cone. I brought you in as Harry Cone and I need you in my team." I hate it when a lady draws a weapon on me even though now its just a bread knife. "Professor Heptanes, please explain to her. I thought you told me she has been briefed." It was then the memory came in and I can see Monica struggling with Officer Butler. The bastard raped her once in her previous vessel; not the one I see now but the one I knew when I was Harry Cone. "I am sorry, Monica. I did not know that he did that. Heptanes, help me here. I really screwed it up."

But it was the intervention of Alexis who managed to get the lady to released her hold on the bread knife. Then we all sat down and Alexis sat next to Monica with her arms around her. I am sitting across Monica and she is glaring at me. I can feel what she is going through in her psyche facing the man who raped you.

"Monica...." But it was Alexis who motioned for me to shut up. I did and avoid looking at Monica. We were supposed to discuss on the new team member but since the incident just now, we just talked on general issues. Heptanes suggested that we move out as he is worried that the surveillance camera may be installed nearby and we could be picked up soon. He suggested we move to a safer place he knew. One of the reason  for the move was me as Officer Butler. Its become a suspicion if I am seen coming too often. 
                                                                                                                                                                        
So it was proposed that I would use the safe house in the city for contact instead of coming to the new place they identified. I was not to know the location for fear the real Butler would know. That ended the meeting and I was seen off by Professor Heptanes.

"Butler, we will take care of her. You go ahead with the new member and we will back you. Meanwhile I am working with Martha on the serum."

I took my leave and went back to the city. I got a message to see the Senior Officer Graw, who replaced Cantor.

"Control wants me to tell you that they found Martha Kiln vessel at the bay. She has committed suicide. So you are off the hook, but I got a mission for you. I need a missing vessel found. She is Monica Sully; you brought her in before for some possession of bombs making devices. Get her in and I may have more for you to do."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you know the Sully's are looking for you over their sister disappearance? Did you take her when you were Butler or before?" Snide is sharing my lunch break at one of the City's Open Park. We are having some packed sandwiches while watching the others walked on this park. I see a lady walking her dog as she is munching her lunch of a foot long sausage. Snide took his drink as I was still staring at the lady. "So you are talking or do I continue eating?"

"Oh, I took her as Harry Cone and Butler happened to come in. So I knocked him up and brought him too. He was not in the original plan but I find that as an Enforcer, I get to go places which Harry can't or vice versa. Shucks, I am all confused. So okay, I took Monica but I needed her skill set. I forgot about the brothers' but Monica is now devoid of her identity control. She can be herself." But we have new trouble. "Snide, three o'clock. And nine o'clock. You think they want to talk?"

"You raped their sister and you think they want to talk? I would suggest you finished your drink and we back up slow." I did as he said but we have an other issue; they are also at our rear. There are two of them each on each side. I don't know why started the shooting but the bullets came sweeping in from all directions. We crouched down before the tree trunk and I told Snide to hold our fire. Its dangerous to shoot in a park especially when its noon. But the Sully's boys are not keen on park rules, but their own.

I saw my opportunity and took down one of them. He was standing too far out from the cover and I shot him,

"I thought you said you were not shooting." Snide is now firing at the man in the rear.

"I lied and I am tired to being shot at" I got my second shooter as he tried to run for cover. Snide got his too and we are getting better or we are just lucky. The sirens can be heard in the distance and the shooters are leaving. We came out of cover on seeing them leaving.


"Snide, I want to meet the Sully's." Snide just shrugged his shoulder and walked back to the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jake, I want to say I have nothing to do with Monica's disappearance. I was in the cafe that day and I was knocked out. You can verify my story with the Unit." I am sitting across Jake Sully; Monica's elder brother and leader of the Sullies'. I don't know how they find vessels for these characters but they always look big and nasty. But Jake is an exception. He is small frame and wears a business suit. He also have a nice haircut and wear glasses.

"Is this him?" i whispered to Snide who is sitting next to me. He just nodded.

"Officer Butler, the last time your name came out involving you was when I dragged her out of the room and she confessed to me that you raped her. This time she has gone into hiding or missing as a result of yourself again. I may be a lawyer but at times I forget that there are other means of getting justice done. In this case, you got ten seconds to convince me why I should listen to you." Jake may be small in body size but he does not mince his words. I looked at behind Jake to see the two brothers sitting there. They are of the opposite of Jake as they are well fed boys with muscles to go with the frame.

"There are six of them here including Jake." Snide was polite to tell me my odds.

I had to play my ace now. I signaled Snide who stood up. He put his finger to his lips and whistled to the back of the shop. There came out the sister of the Sully's. Monica walked up to her brother and sat down opposite him. She is sitting by me and looking at her brother.

"Jake, he is clean. I am helping him on a case. And asked the boys to back off. Tell....Mama I love her." As she was talking, I was looking at Jake for any moves he might make. Jake reached for his vest pocket and took out a handkerchief. He passed it to the sister and stood up.

"I will be waiting and you let me know. He won't last an hour when you give me the word." Jake Sully left the place with his men. I turned to look at Monica but she has got herself up and leaving the place.

"Monica...." I tried to call her but she won;t stopped for any question from me. She was out the same door she came in and probably in the van now. Alexis will drive her home now.

"Butler, I just got comms that Control wants you tomorrow at the Freedom Square. Contact will be made on your arrival at 0900hrs. I wondered why he page me when he could had told you directly." I shook my head and reached for my comms unit. It is turn on and there is no message from Control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Officer Butler, this is your new comms." I been standing here at the Freedom Square for ten minutes before this kid came up to me and handed me the package. "There is an unlisted number in the memory. Please call that to speak to Control."

I did as he said.

"Officer Butler, your comm has a bug on it. We believed it was placed there by the group named Freed. Use this new one and I will contact you on here. I also have a mission for you. You to meet a Professor at the Science Center. He will be expecting you. His name is Heptanar. Your other mission is on hold for now. I read your brief on the meeting with the Sully. Interesting that they are giving you the doubt on their sister. But we shall discuss that later. Goodbye."

Heptaner? There must be mistake. I will see the Professor first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Welcome, Officer Butler. This is my lab at the Science Center. Can I get you a drink?" The man who just spoke to is also known to me as Heptanes.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...