Monday, April 16, 2012

Bullet 4 Part 12

72 hours past the start

0600hr
I cradle the Remington in my hand as I watched the street from my vantage point at the fifth floor of the office building. The street are quiet although they are abandoned vehicles on it. The unlucky ones are a burnt wreck but many are bullet riddled. There are no dead bodies on the street as they have been removed by the others. We are all waiting for the army convoy due in from the borders to suppress the rebellion of freedom. Most of the people has taken to the streets to protest the new President and he has shown his hand by shooting at the crowd who came to protest.

This was the starting point of the new revolution as the people decides to overthrow the new Government. I am back with new rebellion group under Madame Novi as a mercenary fighter. She has given me command of the sniper squad of twelve men and four women. We called the "Gunfighters' as that's what we do; fight with the rifles. This morning, we laying an ambush at the corner to the new Palace which is lined with tanks and armored cars where the new President taken refuge with his new friend; Mrs.Loman.

"Kingfisher, we have visual. Point of entry as planned. ETA five minutes." I acknowledge the call-in. I readied my Remington and adjusted the lens. Everybody has their assigned targets and the rest is after we complete this, the second squad will take over. I saw the lead armored car come into the turn. Its a an old Scout Ferret Car with a 50 Browning Machine gun fitted on the turret. Then there is the six M113 Armored Personnel Vehicles with its Browning machine gun. Behind that is 2 units of the self propelled M109 followed by two more trucks carrying supplies. Our assigned targets are the M113 and this has been given to the sniper team. We have lined them up with Dragon Anti Tank missiles. My role was to take out the Scout Ferret gunner which I lined up my sight on. I hit the soldier on the head as the Scout Car came into my my range. The Dragon team are positioned in different building sections along the street and they came into action at close range. The missile took out the M113 personnels causing great damage. Meanwhile other rebels came forth with their version of the Molotov cocktail and tossed it at the damaged vehicles. I had then shot my second target which is the driver of the truck causing him to crash into an abandoned vehicle. The two M109 could not moved much in the chaos was soon engulf in flames by the Molotov cocktail. Two assigned bombers armed with a bag of C4 then slipped in unnoticed and pushed the bombs between the tracks.

At 0630hrs, the rebels team has flee the scene and the President is dealt a severe blow. Most of his twenty four heavy tanks are in the airport and main installation. But I moving down the street to go approach another four level building in a high wall compound. Its the safe house and operational base for Gavin Nates. My intelligence feedback tells me he is there with ten heavily armed guards, and he has got a arsenal which the rebels can put to good use. I decided to take a direct approach to the matter with a squad of six good fighters.

I drove up in the pickup trucks and approached the main gate. The two guards saw the truck coming at them and they reached for their guns but we shot them first. I drove up to the gate and reversed in by crashing into the gate. Once I am in, I used a long bar to press down the accelerator and i jumped out. Meanwhile a second pickup truck came in with four men on it. The truck stopped at the green yard watching my truck reversed into the house and the C4 I placed there exploded with a massive blast. Two men stood up from the rear of the second truck and they are armed with Stinger Missiles. They both shot off their missiles at the first level windows and then they ducked down when the missiles hit the level.

Another pickup truck came speeding in and drove to the right side of the building. There the gunner at the rear of the truck sprayed the building upper levels with the Browning machine gun. At that moment I was running into the ground level with my AK47. But there was not much to shoot at here, as the place was all debris strewn but the stairs are still intact. I ran up the stairs followed by two of my men armed with AK47. We hit the first level and find it also heavily damaged. I was to run for the third level when the shots came at us. One of my men got caught in the gunfire and he went down with bullets in his chest. I took our three grenades and pulled the pins off before I tossed them up the stairs. We then both held our breath as the triple grenades exploded on the upper level. After the explosion, we ran up the stairs to see more dead bodies, but no Gavin Nates yet.

The last level is just above me and I told my men to check the current floor for survivors. If there is any kill that person. And he locate the arsenal, signal the rest to collect it. I slowly made my way up the stairs to the last level.

"Gavin, its me Kingfisher. How would you like do a personal showdown? Just you and me." I know Gavin is proud of his ancestry of gunfighters. He once told me his grandfather was a town enforcer.

"Marius, you and me. On the count of three. Three............ Two........... One"

I walked up to the last level and saw the man I used to place my trust standing there with a M16A1 in the hand. He was to shoot at me when I threw the six grenades with the pins removed into the corridor. I had then jump down the staircase to the next level.

The blast took the whole section off there was little to collect after that. We found the arsenal on the basement and it gave the rebels more than a shout of victory.


1000hr
I got news that Mrs Loman has left for the airport under heavy guards. So I decided to give her my own version of send off. I waited at the end of the runway with my binoculars. She is boarding it and the plane door is closed. The plane taxied down the runway and lined up for take off. I took the rather heavy Dragon onto my shoulder and adjust it on my shoulder. The plane ran down the runway and I can see the nose inching up. But it made it as I shot the missile pass the nose. I am sure the Captain of the plane is looking forward to an early retirement.

Now the final piece of my plan to complete my stay here would be completed soon. I got my answer at 1156hrs.

"He is leaving by copter. ETA one hour."

I left the airport for my next destination. 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...