Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Lost Legion Part 10 ( Finale )

10.

Optio
Franco gone. The men is holding up, and I must command them. But to what and where? We are surrounded and they are not attacking us but keeping us at bay. An Officer came forth to asked to speak to ours. I meet him outside the shields. He offered us a chance to surrender. His General wants us to consider it. I looked at the men. They are looking tired and they are dead men if I give the wrong answer. Its too obvious, we are outnumbered and out classed here. If I can offer this men what they signed up for, then I am their true leader.

"To surrender and fight another day is not a foolish action. Its a wise man strategy." The officer spoke the truth. I gave him my gladius and my shield. The men lowered their pilum and spears, and reformed to a double line rank. We would marched to the rear of the enemy now like Legionnaires. As they past me, I salute them. They are my men now. Even though we surrender today, we won by having to live for another day and another battle.

"General ChengTang would see you now." I followed the officer to the command tent.


Zhizhi
I am at the inner Citadel now. The walls has been overrun by the Han' and now I am with a hundred of my warriors. We will fight in this Hall like the true warriors which we are. My consort and the others are all in the other Hall with some guards. They would fight too to their death.

The enemies come and they are knocking on the door. It would be time to say goodbye to all who stood by me. I only wished I had more army than peasants to fight this war. But that is not important now. Now is the time to prove myself I am worthy to be their Chieftain.

Goodbye my brother. I am sorry I fought with you and should be standing next to you.


Lady Kino
I am past the guards and into the plains. My horse would take me the place where I can get a ship to go back to see my son. My only grief is I travel alone and leaving my mistress with an arrow in her neck. Its better this way than to be suffering at the savages hands.

Goodbye, my mistress.

Aftermath

1,518 Xiongnu died, including the crown prince and Zhizhi's wives. 145 were captured and well over 1,000 surrendered. The soldiers were allowed to keep their booty and the surrendered Xiongnu were distributed to the fifteen kingdoms that participated in the battle.

The following spring Gan Yanshou and Chen Tang arrived at Chang'an and presented Emperor Yuan of Han with Zhizhi's decapitated head. It was displayed on the city wall for ten days and then buried.

The Fifth Cohort continue to served in the frontier under the new Centurion Tiber.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...