Monday, April 2, 2012

My challenge to be a Lady.

If I am to remember that I am a lady
Darned it, I would need to wear them skirts
I can't even bow from my waist or squat like a frog.
Nor can I cuss and foul my words like before. 

Walk like a crane she coached on the daint steps 
And raised not your feet above your knees
And forget not that they are meant to be clasped
And raise not your fists to fight another man.

Woe indeed my dear mother as she try to coach
A girl like me who never had the need to know 
When all I learned was by the fist and many I out played
If not winning fair, I would had kicked their butt off.

But she weep as I am not to be as before
Sheila, she said; for my sake be a lady
If not how would I get you courted off in the years to come
Unless your life is to be a lonely spinster by the corner.

When your mother weeps, your tears would flow
I agreed to her and learned the ways to be the lady
She mold and she broke many of my limbs 
So that I would be the perfect lady in her mind.

Six months has passed and she still frowns 
If I am to heed her words to be that lady
She calls to me on all the things I did not right
But I remind her there are something I could not right. 

She said I must not be seen pulling on the pants 
But the waist of mine is smaller than that of my butt
So how else would it hold up from falling off
Unless I latch them on with the pegs. 

A lady does not do any form of running 
She walks like a crane crossing the pond
But why can't she also stand with one leg like them
Oh, you mean its unladylike to be so.

A lady needs to be gentle and courteous
No more cussing and foul mouthing the words
I have to asked myself before I speak 

Does that mean I can't even kick butts when I want.
If that what calls a lady would be
Than let me be the previous one I was 
As a girl I am not bounded by all your rules

To live my life without riles 
But little I was to know soon enough
That little girl does not get to be admired
Dashing young suitors who may come a-calling

Now I am the lady she wanted
Dainty steps and out reaching fingers
A walk in the park seem to take forever
But who cares of time when you are courted.

A lady I am right now all thanks to my Mother 
Who nurtured a tomboy to older age of teens
Then mold her to a lady of adult of refined manners
So I can be married before I turned spinster.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...