Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bullet 4 Part 5

We saw a convoy of trucks laden with armed soldiers and civilians' heading for the airport. They do not looked like they want to fly but to fight. I started off the rover and sped onto the road heading to the airport. We can hear exchange of gunfire and explosions. Soon we reached the first road block manned by the loyalist soldiers. That defense has been breached and there are dead soldiers all around. We did not stop but get on moving. As I approached the Terminal, I can see the rebels and the soldiers exchanging fire at the entrance and carpark.

"Take left at the next junction and it will lead us to the cargo division. Next to it is the private hangers. We can grab a smaller plane to fly out." Henry knew the airport well as part of his works includes smuggling. I followed his instruction and saw the gate closed and manned by two soldiers at the gate. Henry took up his FN and laid the soldiers to rest. Its a war for us with neither sides on ours'. I crashed through the gate and followed Henry's instruction. I looked back at the Terminal to see it on fire with heavy gunfire coming from there. So the rebels must had broken through and its close combat now,.

"That's the hanger' as Henry points out to me. On my entry into the hanger, I could find its empty of any planes., but for a truck load of soldiers who were just getting off it. Some of the soldiers were on the ground getting ready to lined up for briefing when we stumbled on them. It was not me who fired but Henry who shot at them with his FN, followed by the Rover with its Browning. The soldiers on the ground did not have a chance to get any cover in the open floor of the hanger. The Sarge on seeing the opportunity drove up nearer to the truck and left some grenades in the driver seat. He then drove away when the truck exploded into flames.

"Henry, why?" I grabbed Henry by the shoulder.

"No sides, Marius. Its them or us. Remember that." Henry was getting off the Rover and moving to the flaming truck. He took out his handgun to finished off any wounded or dying soldiers. He signaled to the Sarge to picked up any spare weapons and ammo to be loaded into the Rover. Meanwhile I looked around and I could find no plane there in the hanger. If there were, they would had been in the air by now. So was the next three hangers we dropped in. I turned the Rover around and headed out to the tarmac. But there are no planes there at all. The whole airport is empty of planes. The earlier ones we heard were the last ones to take off. I can see at the terminal flashes of gunfire and more explosions.

"Straight here and behind the firehouse; there is a gate to leave this place. Do it now, while we can."

I followed Henry's instruction and there was the gate. Its locked but there are no soldiers. I pressed down on the pedal and slammed through the back gate. Its took the toll on the rover and I can feel it calling for me to stop soon. But where can I go except the airport road as that is the only road here. I drove on with the engine coughing until I reached the earlier road block. I stopped the rover and told Henry. We are switching transport. I saw the army truck there and I hopped into the driver seat. The fuel gauge is three quarters and it start immediately.

"Henry, grab some more guns and ammo. We are riding the truck now." Henry did as he was told among the dead soldiers. I drove the truck to the slums units again and hid it behind the makeshift church.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...