Thursday, April 19, 2012

Nutty Adventure

"Are you nuts to bring me here? There are no trees here and how am I feed myself. I can't eat grass and more to it, where would I sleep? Now..." The Angel has just flown me across the forest to this grass land to lay me on it. I am a Squirrel and what am I do on a flat grass land. Its like leaving me on the  freeway waiting for the truck to lay alongside the tracks it make. 

That's  when she grabbed me by my long tail and pulled me to her eye level.

"Nutty, I need your help. You are the only one who could do it." She looked at me and I know what she meant by that. Among all her friends here on this world, I am the only 'nutty' hence my name as I am always taking chances. Once I had my tail almost cut off when I rescued the little piglets from the big bad wolf. But that is another story and since then, I prefer to use my head more than my tail.

"Okay, what do you want me to do? Grab the moon or sink the Sun. Hurry up, I need to go back to my forest. I got a date with Nitty at the Old Oak Tree. We are going to tie a yellow ribbon there to signify our love. So hurry up." I tried to wriggle my way out of her grasp but she held me tight. "Okay, I would stop now. So tell me please."

I stopped wriggling and looked at her. Her eyes are all teary and I hate to see such emotions. It drags my soul down to the toes and out through my tail.

"Nutty, I need you get the spell book from the Witch in the Dark Forest. She is over there" she points to the nearby forest,. You just go...... " She tried to explain more to me, but I had to interject in mine first.
"Witches, and Dark Forest.....uh uh, you got the wrong nutty to go in there. I may be nuts but I am also cautious at when to be nuts. This is one when I am not going to go nuts over the nutty idea of doing the nutty thing. So leave me out." She had loosen her hold on me and I jumped loose. I landed on the grass and my nose went twitchy on the long grass over me. I hate these grasses as they have pollens on them which affects my nose.

"Nutty, you have to. I would die if I don't go back up there." She points to the skies and she used the second word I disliked most; die. I cannot let my friend die because I refused to help. That is my motto, never say die when Nutty is here.

"Okay, I would try but only one time. If I failed to get it, that's it. I am coming back here and you may .....die but do try others like Peter Pan or even Shrek. He could scared the Witch out of her wits or die laughing.....Sorry, I should not had said die.......Ah, I think I better be going now. Wait here and move not at all." I gave up on my explanations and went on my way to retrieve the spell book.

I love the forest as they are trees to climb and to find fruits, but dark ones gives me the creep. My sight is dull at this level of light, so I would resort to my smell and hearing. I smell some nice cooking at yonder but my hearing tells me its brewed by the Witch as she is signing as she cooked. She is brewing her concoction in a big pot outside the house and singing a song.

"That a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
Medicine go dow-wown, medicine go down.
Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine
go downin the most delightful way."
( Lyrics from A Spoonful of Sugar sung Julie Andrews. )

By the roar of the Lion, how that Witch sing that song so horribly? No wonder she is called a Witch. If Mary Poppins hears of her singing, she would had whack the Witch for sure., But my task is not to judge her singing, I need to find the spell book. I left the Witch to her cooking while I jumped into the house. I need not searched the place as the book is on the table with the pages open. I hopped onto the table and looked at the page. It said 'How to make you looked beautiful?"

So that is what she is brewing. Well, she had to brew lots more to removed those wrinkles on her face. If this is the spell book, how on Heaven and Earth do I move it out of the house and across the forest to the Angel. The book must had weigh more than me combined with Nitty and its bigger than me with Nitty standing on my shoulders.

This is tough and the tougher gets better, or was it tougher. As God once remarked, if you are not seeking, miracle may come to you sometimes.

"Hey, Squirrel. Are you here to help the Angel?"

I looked over the table and sees a rat standing there dressed in boots and holding a needle.

"What did you do? Eat up the Puss and taken over his role. Yes, I am and if you are not of help, please remove yourself from my tale." But the Rat came up to me and said he could help.

"Besides me dressed up like a cat you knew, I am also the Witch's assistant. I could help you if you helped me out too."

"I be done; another request for help and I have yet to complete the earlier one. Ratty, take a number and get in queue. Nutty hero here is pre-occupied with the current mission." I did a curtsy bow to the Rat. The darned rat laughed at me and explained to me how he can help.

"I am the Witch's assistant and I know a spell to make the book ideal for your pocket. Called it pocket size. But only if you help me escape. You see, I am also tangled in this mess here like the Angel, but the Witch let her off and I end up as a prisoner. Serial Number 131313. Its like having triple 6 marked on your forehead. So would you and I would do the same. One for all and all for one."

I slammed my paw on the rat's tail.

"You rat on me and I would have you roasted alive over the sunlight. Do we understand each other?" The Rat nodded and proceeded to stand before the book. The rat chanted some words and then swing the needle making the spell book to the size that can be fitted into my pocket.

"Ok, lets go'." But the rat held me back.

"Pardon me, Squirrel. I need to ride on your back to escape. My feet cannot touch the ground here or I would be trapped again." I told it to hop on but I warned the rat.

"No funny stuff, or it won't be nuts you have down there."

We are off with me carrying the rat and I swooped through the forest. I ran into the grass land and soon reached the Angel. The rat got off my back and approached the Angel.

"My love, I am back. If you allowed me a second, I could change you back to yourself." It asked for the spell book which I passed over. It ran some words from it and the Angel's wings starts to flutter. She stoop down to picked up the rat into her arms and smiled at it.

"I would take you up to the skies and restored you back to the Man you were." She was about to fly with the rat ( I knew rats does not deserved to be rescued. They forget you once its done. ) when I stopped her.
"Can you tell me how did you get into this mess?"

"Nutty, its a long tale with a lot of tangled ends. You need not know the whole tale but be known that you given the tale a good closing. For your reward, please see the row of trees that has been laid for your journey home. Be good, Nutty and good bye." They left me standing in the grass land. Yes, there is a row of trees which lined up to the horizon and probably back to my forest, but I would be late for my date with Nitty.

"Hey, Hero. I hear you done another good deed?" The voice came from the first tree on the row.

"Nitty?"

Sorry, folks. That's another story for another day. Right now, I am going nutty over Nitty.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...