Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Oz; remake of the tale 1.18


18. Surprises comes in early.

"We split the land into four parcels to control it. This land before under the King was fine on the surface, but beneath it, it was all chaos. There were all fighting; the Munchkins, the Nomes, the Winkies, the Winged Monkeys. You seen the ants and ant eater, and so were the Kalidah. Now they were going to fight among themselves as they do that all the time before. My sister control them, and let them do her fighting." Glinda did not paused in her words but now she sighed.

"Dorothy, you made chaos the norm again." Glinda looked at me. "Didn't you see the Wizard?"

"I did. The Wizard told us to get her killed or he won't help." I explained myself. "Why didn't you ever asked the Wizard to kill her? Isn't that abnormal for you?"

I shook my head. I was made a fool. I took out my old boots and put them on and also my old suit. I am now going to war.

"Hurry, Dorothy. The Wizard knows you killed my sister and now he is rejoicing. He is also leaving the city soon. Catch hold of him before he gets away with it."

We rushed back; all of us for the Emerald City but we stopped at the frontier. Its Private Omby Amry, and this time he has an army with him. All dressed in the uniforms and carrying pikes, they numbered about a hundred units.

"Dorothy Gale, by the orders given to me by the Wizard; you are hereby barred from coming back to Emerald City." Private Omby threatens me. "I shall not hesitate to fight you and your companions."

"Private Omby, you been deceived by the Wizard. He is the bad one here." I pleaded with him.

"Rubbish! The Wizard is the wise one and you ....are just a girl. Now be off or I shall have you removed." Private Omby laid his pike towards me.

"Sorry, Private Omby. You are a good soldier but you are fighting on the wrong side." I grabbed the remaining buttons and placed them in my hand. Omby saw my buttons and he recalled the last incident.

"Dorothy, wait. What if you are wrong? If you killed us and the Wizard, then there may be chaos." Private Omby appealed to me. "Or what if I am wrong? You still killed us and the Wizard. Then there may be...order."

"All I am saying, Dorothy; is let us work out a reconciliation." Private Omby paused in his words. "You and me, we go and see the Wizard. We listen to his part and then decide."

Both of us agreed. We marched to Emerald City with the army. Both Omby and myself went to looked for the Wizard leaving the rest in the yard. We did find any servants as the tower was all quiet and deserted. But we found the Wizard in his chamber. He was sitting in a wick basket and trying to figure out the controls on the console at the side.

"Oh my! Why can't they just made it easier to read and use?" The Wizard saw us and climbed out of the wick basket to hide but he tripped on the floor. Private Omby assisted him up and the Wizard was all shivering.

"I can't be here. She would come. I would be banished or worse made her servant." The Wizard kept on muttering. I grabbed hold of the Wizard and try to console him but he is still muttering. I slapped him hard and knocked the hat off. It also knocked off his mask on the face.

Its Uncle Henry.

"My mask?" Uncle Henry crawled to his knees and tried to find the mask. Then he stopped and looked at me. "Dorothy, I am sorry."

I pulled my uncle up, and placed him on the bed. He told me that he was the Wizard. He was brought here in the similar storm, and he was rescued by the King then. The King offered him refuge there and told him of his war with the four witches. The witches were his daughters, and they are rebelling at him. He was losing the war and asked Uncle Henry to help him. He was to stay here as the King while he returned back to Uncle Henry' dimension. He would appear as Uncle Henry there, while the real Uncle Henry remained here. When the King left, Uncle Henry took out the role as the Wizard. He used his role to made the city safe from the Witches. There was a pledge that they would not harm the city as he told them that he holds the King hostage. They could not come into the city as their powers are useless here.

Recently, his ruse was discovered by the Witch of the East. She threaten to tell the rest if he did not cooperate with her. She wants to defeat the other sisters, but the arrival of Dorothy put a permanent stop to her plans.

"Dorothy, your arrival was planned. One of the other Witches planned your visit here but I did not know who. I suspected it was the Witch of the West and asked you to killed her. I was upset then, but then I realized that I was magically influenced by another Witch. The same witch who placed the Winkies here.; they are to watch my movements and never allowed any visitors."

"Who influenced you?"

"It was Glinda. She is an evil Witch. She appeared as good but she is evil. I only knew recently. I have a friend who helped me a lot. You met him. He is a cat; a glass one. Cocky but nice natured. The cat named is Looking Glass or LG for short. LG spied for me, and gather all the evidence. I was misplaced and when I knew, I sent the cat to stopped you. He came back and told me you killed the Witch."

"The cat to stop me? No, the cat took us to her lair. Maybe your cat gone rogue." I told Uncle Henry.

"No, that was not my cat. That was Glinda' creation. She created a double of my cat, and led you to complete the task." Uncle Henry called for the cat. He appeared from the behind the drapes.

"Oh, hello Dorothy." The cat walked in and stretched his back on the rug. "Wizard, please don't wake me before supper time. Its bad for my digestion."

That's our cat.

"Salt my fish; who is that guy?" The cat snarled at Private Omby. "He is not Omby. He smell of tuna with mackerel most times. Omby loves fish. This one smells of beef."

Private Omby smiled and reached for the pistol in his belt. I reacted in the only manner I know; I shouted a warning which turned out to be a vocal sonic boom. He was flung across the chamber and hit the wall. That was when Droid burst in.

"Dorothy, those soldiers are bad ones. We just took them down with the help of the real Private Omby. The one...." Droid saw the dead double on the floor. "How did you know?"

"It a long story." I replied.

"That's not the reason I came here. We are going to be invaded. There is an army coming here. Private Omby Army told us. Its been led by Glinda. She is an evil one."

I looked at Uncle Henry. He is still in shock.

Its up to me to fight the evil Witch.

"Can I help?" Its the Guardian of the Gate. He is still holding the green pad. "This is my city, and I am the Guardian of the Gate."

I nodded.

 

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...