Friday, May 31, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Two Scene Two Sub Act One

 

THE CURTAIN RISES

ACT TWO

SCENE TWO

SUB ACT ONE

 

“Did you ring?” The woodpecker asked the other. It was dark at the woods then.

“You meant did I peck? No, I did not. It is still dark and whoever and whatever makes you think I will do that at his whatever time, give the whoever wants to hear it, my hoot.” The owl hooted. “And I do not ring. I hoot.”

“Sorry, mates of the avian breed.” The woodpecker pecked the wood panel. “It’s dark and I cannot tell friend from foe.”  

“It is not your night then.” The Owl bit the woodpecker in the wings.

Such were the woes of the realm of predators; kill or be killed.

Lady Elleanor dressed in the night gown as if she was ready for bed, looked at the bell that she had rung earlier. The sound had chimed and heard by many in the castle. Well, almost all, for some were drunk and fast asleep. Not even the hammer off Thor will wake them up.

Nor did the snores of the King.

“I had the wine served by the servants. The wine that will made them …... sleepy. The liquor that put them to sleep has filled me with fire. I am to be bold to perform my act, but will he?” Elleanor looked to the stars outside.

“Listen! Quiet! That was the shriek of an owl—an omen of death like the bell struck at midnight by the night watchman before the cell of a man condemned to death. It may the sign that MacBeth is killing Duncan right now. The doors to Duncan’s chamber will be opened, and the snores of the drunk servants make a mockery of their job of guarding him.”

“Go on, MacBeth, I had drugged their drinks to make them sleep so soundly that they seem dead.” Elleanor smiled.

“Is the deed done?” Elleanor paced the chamber then while she asked herself. “Could he, do it? He is a soldier, where the killings should come easy.”

“Killing …... Murder …. Where do differentiate the two actions?” Elleanor sighed. “I guess it too far to make love and …... sex, well …. It was consensual too…... most times. May not be accommodating but precursor to …...”

“Elleanor, you think too far with your mind. You are …….” Elleanor shut her mind. “I must see to it.”

Elleanor paced from her chamber to the King’s. She saw on her way, the other chambers’ doors some ajar and with her peeking on the sight of the nobles who had slept there. They were in all deep sleep, and truly the postures of them were at worse, disgusting. She paced on and passed the snoring guards, who were complacent to sleep on their task. The King’s chamber was next, and the door was closed.

“Did he not come? I am concerned that he may had doubts on the task. I will do it then.” Elleanor took to open the door.

“Who is there?” Elleanor heard the call. The voice familiar to her.

“It is me, Elleanor. Where art thou, MacBeth?”

“I am here.” MacBeth was at the bedside of the King. He held in his right the dagger that was bloodied.

“Oh, I was afraid if the servants woke up, and the job is not done. It would ruin us completely to fail in our attempt to murder the King.” Elleanor approached the bed. “Is he dead?”

Elleanor was not one used to the sight of the dead, lest it was another person.

“He …... I would have killed Duncan myself if he did not look so much like my own father while he slept.” Elleanor had her fears but found the words to assure her fears.

“He is dead. I believed it is so.” MacBeth said. “The wound is at the heart.”

“How of the guards? His personal ones?”

“Dead. I think. I saw them at the corner. Their throats slit and their breaths unheard.” MacBeth was unsure. “I did rush out.”

“Then we must hurry from here.” Elleanor told MacBeth. “Give me the dagger. I will place it on the guard’s hand. It will be seen that he killed the King, and then killed himself.”

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...