Friday, May 17, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Zero Scene Two

 

A LADY’S SECRET

ACT ZERO

SCENE TWO

Dear Mary, I have a secret to reveal”

“I am in love with your lover, and this hurts me more than you may feel. I met MacBeth at your engagement, and it was love to me then at first sight. It was unbecoming of myself but I could not ignore my feelings. I will recit you my favourite lines.

“But my true love is grown to such excess / I cannot sum up some of half my wealth” Romeo and Juliet (3.1. 33–34).”

“Love, in other words, resists any single metaphor because it is too powerful to be so easily contained or understood. I felt disappointed that father gave you away to him but not me. He was always loving to you, more than me. I know that father tried to give you the best given your frail health but in me I held a frail heart too. I needed his love but you were there.”

“I wished I could had told father then but we, the ladies are told and not tell. I disked that for it gave us no meaning to our existence except to bicker and gossip on each other’s back. Why can we not make to stand our own with the duels or the trading of fists? Why must we just have the obligations to the man?”

“Mary, MacBeth is a fine man, and destined for greater heights. While you owned him now and would not share him, I will await my moment next to you. It may sound like I envy you, and yes, I do.”

“I shall wait, Mary.”

“Your sister, Elleanor.”

Elleanor folded the letter not sent for her heavy heart was to be burdened by another event.

“Come Elleanor, Mary is in bad shape.” Elleanor heard the maid who rushed to her chamber. She hid the letter back into the vanity case and followed the maid. Her sister was to deliver the off spring with her lover, the Colonel of Gladis. She reached the door to the personal chamber and saw the departing nurses covered in blood and tears.

“What of my sister, Mary?” Elleanor stopped one of the nurses.

“She is dead, my Lady. Her child will not breathe either.” The nurse told her. “The Lord is inside. He just made it to her side.”

“The Healers ……”

“They tried but her Ladyship is too weak in her body and soul.” The nurse then rushed off. Elleanor made her entrance to the chamber and saw the Colonel was on his knees while holding his beloved right hand. He was at tears, and the child was shrouded by the mother’s side. She had not seen a man cried, but that sight was there. Tears knew no gender for it was driven by the emotion of the living. He did not bawl like the child but the tears were flowing. She saw then Banquo standing a distance away, and he saw her. He approached her and it was into his arms she took to release her tears.

“I have so much to tell Mary>”: Elleanor sobbed.

“She will hear, Elleanor. And forgive. Both of you are sisters.” Banquo held the lady close to him while he looked at his friend. “Elleanor, for now MacBeth needs you.”

Elleanor wept but unseen by her was the tears of Banquo.

“There’s beggary in the love that…... cannot be reckoned. Not by wealth or by death. You deserve more than this.” Banquo said to himself. “Good bye, Mary.”

Adapted and revised from – Antony and Cleopatra, Act 1, scene 1, line 16

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...