Monday, May 20, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act One Scene Five Sub Act One

 

A LADY’S LETTER

ACT ONE

SCENE FIVE

SUB ACT ONE

 

“My Lady, a letter arrived for you.” The chambermaid called out when she walked into the chamber. Elleanor heard the call, and in her heart was the dreaded feeling.

MacBeth dead? Or worse maimed for life? Elleanor feared the worse. She had waited for him at every battle but to which will his luck holds. She feared losing him as dearly as she did …...Wait, she had none. She loved the few close to her, but never had she denied her love for MacBeth was more personal. She could not reveal it for she was the sister of the lover of MacBeth.

“Men can have many lovers but a lady was to be discreet. We cannot jump from the windows or patios but cower in the bed sheets or cupboard to avoid been seen. We cannot duel with the sabres but stoop to gossips.” Elleanor told her chambermaid that day. “Is it not fair that ladies are to be meek?”

“I will not know, my Lady. I am ……” The chambermaid was dismissed by Elleanor. She once wore the frock of the men, and watched her reflection in the mirror. She felt it was no different from her own bed frock; shapeless and coarse. She turned her back and pulled the back hem of the frock up.

“Well, at least I could reveal expose my bahoomie (Scottish slang) but do they, do it?” Elleanor sniggered. “Maybe they do it from the front. They need to lighten their water bags with their banger. At least we seat ourselves on the pot.”

“My Lady, your letter.” Elleanor was told of the letter then. She picked it up and read the contents.

“Dear Elleanor, I am writing to share with you of some news.”

“First, I am alive and defeated the rebels, the Irish and the Danes. I am well, though I have some wounds that needed healing. The most important part is that was to meet the Angels.”

“Angels as person; they looked elegant and heavenly. They told me of my destiny. I was sceptical but it soon overwhelmed me. I am to be King. Yes, they told me so and then vanished. I was puzzled and then the other news came. It was from the King’s messenger. I was made the Thane of Cawdor. Imagine that, Cawdor which is huge and wealthier than Gladis”

“My dear sister to Mary, how much of this news surprised me and I need it to be told but to the one that shared so much of my life. I owed it to you and from you to Mary. God bless her soul.”

“Yours dearly, MacBeth.”

Elleanor put down the letter on her laps. Tears flowed from her eyes and the Maid asked her of the contents.

“He is alive, and well. He is made Thane of Cawdor too.” Elleanor told the Maid. She knew that the news will spread in Gladis.

“That is good news, my Lady. You will be …...”

“Leave me. I need to be alone.” The maid left her and then her emotional state took over.

“He loves me not.” Elleanor sighed. “He speaks to Mary through me.”

“MacBeth, she is dead. I am here. Do you not see me at all? I …… love you.” Elleanor was upset. “You are Thane of …..., Gladis and now Cawdor. There will be others who will come patronising you with their hands ....... to seek your favour. The ladies will bow to you displaying their bosoms that you may suckle onto them. All of these for you are now the ……. The Thane yet you held no heir. I fear so much for you.”

“Now you said you will be King. How can you be King when you hold not your character of Thane well? You may think a sabre can hold your rank, and fought with your life. Does the King need to do that?”

“Not with any King, they command the Lords and Thane to fight their battles. They do not lack only virtues and goodness but they hold more. They hold ambitions and the mind to stay ahead of their commands. You may not have that. You were at the calls of others who did not ask of your destiny. You need a …... person to confide in and to confide. You need a …... master of the destiny.”

“Come home, MacBeth. You are Thane and now to be King, let me be your …… Queen. I can whisper in your ear and criticize you so that you cease to be affected by everything that’s keeping you from taking the crown …... which fate and magic both seem to want you to have.”

“I am true to you, my King.” It was then the maid made her entrance again.

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...