Friday, May 31, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act Two Scene One Sub Act Two

 THE OFFICER AND THANE

ACT TWO

SCENE ONE

SUB ACT TWO

 

“MacBeth, is it you?” Banquo looked at the other end of the rampart, still covered in darkness. The figure stepped forth, and it was indeed Thane himself. The illumination of the torches reveals the figure.

“Why are you, MacBeth? It is late, and the...”

"Sentries were posted, but the castle needed to be secured. Assassins abound when the King is your guest. More so, all of them are fast asleep from the drinks and food. I do have to compliment Elleanor for being the perfect hostess. And those darn good whiskeys she serves will make any clan members proud.”

“Elleanor knew the best cellars around, and the cellar here held the best-aged one.” Banquo laughed. “I had myself some, but my oath to serve the King told me to limit it till the King is swayed from here.”

“A fine lady, Elleanor.” MacBeth smiled. “I do ….”

“MacBeth, Mary has long departed. You need to find another to replace her. One that could give you sons.” Banquo spoke his mind. “Elleanor is a fine lady. And ……”

“And she is my lover’s sister. I cannot find myself to replace Mary. I do... love Elleanor, but that love is trust and care, not the kind I had for Mary.” MacBeth confessed. “God, I loved that lady.”

“She is... No more here. Find another to warm your heart and... bedding.” Banquo spoke. “Who have you bedded since?”

“None, my friend. None have I approached, though I have been asked. I hold nothing against them, but I was not in the mood. I know you had. Mauld …...”

“Please leave Mauld out of our conversation. She is the mother of my son.” Banquo cut off the other. “I …...”

“You feel lonely, and at times, you will release your woes onto others, or rather into them.”

“Woes, I hold to myself, and yes, I am unfaithful. Since Fleance, I have not found the desire to be with her. She is cold and... ”

“And yet, she stands by you as your lover. I have not heard of any other men who have taken to plowing in your field.” MacBeth looked to his friend. “Give her some love and time. I shall release you from your services for...”

“Release me forever if you think I am unworthy, general, but not over my obligations to my family. I lived with and for the services of you.” Banquo bowed to the other.

“Hold your loyalty there, Colonel. I said I would release you, but for a time, while the land is without any threat. I did not dismiss you here. Why the sudden call of yours?”

“I apologize, my friend. I have not been resting since we left the citadel. The words of the”

“The prophecy upon you? They did not say you were King. Why would you trouble yourself? You will not betray me or King Duncan. You will still be the loyal officer.”

“It said of my son. He ….” The Banquo voice trailed off.

“Your son may be after your time here. Or mine. Or the King. How would we know about the future? If Fleance were to be King, perhaps he would be, and for that, I congratulate him. You should.”

“Yours was to be King too.” Banquo looked at MacBeth.

“Perhaps, but I hold no heir. Maybe if I were King, and when I die, I may give the throne to Fleance. Do not concern yourself with the prophecy.” MacBeth laughed.

“Banquo, do your best to serve me, is all I ask. Serve me loyally, and I will see you and your family taken care of.” MacBeth told the other.

“As you may command me, General, I am always at your service.” Banquo bowed to MacBeth.

“Do death do us part.” MacBeth made the pledge.

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...