Monday, May 13, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act One Scene Three Sub Act Four

 

THE KING, AM I?

ACT ONE

SCENE THREE

SUB ACT FOUR

 

“I am the Thane of Gladis; my father was one, and it was bestowed on me upon his death.” MacBeth looked to Banquo. “Bless his soul to eternal rest.”

Banquo fought with him against the other nobles for the rightful passing of the rank.

“MacBeth is a clout by manners. He does not hold the requirement to be Thane.” One of the nobles argued at the succession talks after the death of the Thane.

“MacBeth is a soldier. He knew nothing of the talks at the palace. He is better armed with a sabre than the rank of Thane.” Another noble voiced the lack of support for MacBeth.

“I bear my call for Ambrose to be Thane.” Another noble added the name to the successor. The others gathered there in deep conversation, and then the announcement came.

“Colonel MacBeth arrived.”

The gathered there hushed their talks and looked to the high doorway of the castle. Its doors were opened, and in came the indomitable general, followed by his aide, Major Banquo. He strode in, still dressed in infantry fatigue and with his sabre on his belt.

“General MacBeth, you cannot wear your sabre here.” The palace staff cautioned him, as it was the tradition of the palace not to be armed there except by the palace guards. The men in suits were stationed outside and were all fully armed.

MacBeth ignored the staff and proceeded to the high back seat of the Thane. His eyes rested on the wooden seat with the intricate carvings of the Highland lions. It was said to belong to the previous Thane, who had died in that seat. MacBeth's father did not; he died in the arms of his lover, who was turned away from the palace by the nobles.

Was she silenced by the nobles, or were there rumors that MacBeth disliked her? And would kill her. The other murmuring was that Thane does not die in that manner unless he is poisoned. There are many speculations, but no MacBeth to dispute them all.

“The prodigal son returned.” MacBeth heard that when he walked in. It may be to support or mock him. Nevertheless, he made it back. He turned to look at the décor of the hall. The sides of the hall were adorned by the great portraits of the greats of Gladis, and lined below the portraits were their weapons. Thirteen seats were lined up for the nobles, each of them pledging their loyalty to the Thane.

Thirteen-year-old men they were.

“I was late to my father’s burial, but I saw him before arriving here. The rebels were not to let return before I sent them back without their heads.” MacBeth stood by Thane’s seat. “It was the wish of the Thane that no rebels would rob his people of their harvest.”

“Two hundred rebels will not return home.” MacBeth looked at the nobles. “We were strong, but the victory of a battle was not by numbers but by strategy. I took them to battle hard and well.”

MacBeth looked at the noble, who suggested his cousin as Thane.

“My men will attest to that. They are here in the courtyard.” MacBeth looked at the nobles. He could see the uneasy feelings among them. “They fought for Gladis as I did. And we are all of Gladis.”

All the thirteen nobles bowed to MacBeth and made him Thane.

‘Change the décor. My father lies dead, and we still fly the red velvet on the drapes. I want it... solemn.” MacBeth gave his first command as Thane. The staff there reprogrammed the machines that set the décor, and all was done in an instant. The hall was then seen as more solemn, and the portrait of the last Thane was displayed.

“Good, now we can mourn for my father’s death.” MacBeth made his second command.

The Hall then was emptied but not all left in person. Four nobles were there in their holographic form, and upon dismissal were blinked off. The other furnishings of the Hall were all blinked off leaving only the High Back Seat of the Thane.

Later, in the personal chamber of MacBeth, both Banquo and him were immersed in the hot bath to ease their bodily aches. They were alone and sharing the goblet of wine when Banquo asked.

“Why did you not tell me that you wanted to challenge the nobles for the Thane?”

“I... I did not until I saw my father’s burial. It was done deservingly, and there I met the relation of my wife.” MacBeth sighed and then submerged his head under the bath. He later rose up and spoke.

“Elleanor told me of the nobles’ plan to place Ambrose there. She told me he is young and lacks influence.”

“Ambrose is your wife’s brother. He is not raw to the worKings of the Thane. He had been the clerk for the Thane.”

“A recorder of events, yes. But unsure of the intricacy of the clan.” MacBeth told him. “It was said by Mary. God bless her soul.”

“And where is the army of ours?” MacBeth asked.

“They just arrived just now. Your bluff that they were there in the courtyard was brilliant. It held the nobles from revolting.”

“I had planned that.” MacBeth smiled. When he was Thane, he removed four of the nobles.

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...