Friday, May 24, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act One Scene Six Sub Act Two

 

THE CASTLE

ACT ONE

SCENE SIX

SUB ACT TWO

 

The castle of Inverness was not huge, but it was situated on the cliff facing the river Ness. The castle once stood out when the King of Scotland, James I, imprisoned the leaders of the clans to prevent any conflicts on the land. It had since seen heirs to the castle and was that day to welcome the current King Duncan to its hall.

The castle was illuminated with the bright torches that adorned the ramparts, and then the interior was draped with fine silk tapestries, and vases of flowers were at every corner of its corridors. Musicians were aplenty, invited from the nearby villages to ply their skills, while performers were at the yard to do theirs. The oboes and drums rang the scene with much gaily.

The nearby people were all there too to celebrate Thane’s victory, with some of them setting up stalls to make a trade or two. The children were the happiest to partake in the fun and, above all, the return of their fathers.’ The widows were given the due compensation and the pat on their backs; it may not be much, but the Thane was generous. He had halved their taxes for the next harvest. He held no urgency to collect that, for Cawdor would fill the treasury more.

Heroes were garlanded by the villagers while the minstrels added their glory to the tales to be told on their journeys, but nothing was more lauded than the arrival of the King.

“The King is here.” It was a rare occasion for Inverness to have sight of the King there. “He is here.”

“I thought he looked plump for his age.”

“He should look like that. I was expecting more of him.”

“Is he for real?”

“Where’s the Queen?”

"Musty, he has so many guards with him? We are not his enemies.”

Doubts were abounded, but the King was there, and he sounded pleased. 

“Everything real. I liked that.” King Duncan had arrived there and was seen touching the décor. “Not some illusion that is devoid of character and... feel.”

The King had arrived there accompanied by the two princes, Malcolm and Donalbain, of whom the latter was convinced by his father to make the appearance.

“I know you want to comfort your Irish lover, but let bygones be buried. It is not her fault that her father was in the battle against us. Nor was it the sabre of MacBeth who killed him. I was told that he was done in by another whom I will not name.” King Duncan reasoned with his son. “Today, we are to celebrate not only MacBeth’s victory but your brother’s ascension to replace me when I cannot rule.”

“I will be there, Father.” Donalbain had replied. “As all the others will be present.”

The others were there. The King had with him his adviser, Lennox.

“Tell me, Lennox. Did I err in placing Malcolm as the heir?” The King had asked.

“No, your Highness.” Lennox had replied to the King when they spoke in the chamber after the meeting with MacBeth. “He may be young, but it will take time for him to learn.”

“As he should be. I had not much of it when I was made  King.” Duncan sighed. “A brave man with a sturdy arm does not make one a good King.”

“You did well, my King.” Lennox assured the King.

“I had a good friend who guided my judgment." The King, in turn, praised the adviser. “I would have been brash in my action if not for your sight.”

“I do as required by your side.” Lennox said. “It is not easy being King. You needed the other view and, on occasion, the decision to listen.”

“Aye, Lennox. You did well. Do serve Malcolm when the time comes. He needs your advice too.” The King smiled. “I see you brought MacDuff of Fife.”

“One of the finest.” Lennox held an affinity for the one named MacDuff.

“Was he at the battle?” The King asked.

“No, your Highness. He was sent by me to protect the flank. I was unsure...” Lennox was cut off.

“Unsure, Lennox. Surely that belittles your strength.” The King looked at the adviser.

“Precautionary should have been my reason. I had my fears about the Thane of Cawdor. He led a bigger army, or so I thought.” Lennox explained. “It was only known at the battle that he held only half the numbers. The other members of the clan had revolted and did not partake in the battle.”

“A most desirable turn of events there. I was surprised by that, given that Thane had the Irish with him. They would have massacred us then if they were of full strength.”

“An act of God, perhaps.” Lennox assured the King. “An act of God, indeed.”

“Yes, God was ever merciful. He delivered the hostages that held them from bacKing the Thane.” It was unmentioned that Lennox had captured some clan’s leader’s family and held them hostage. It was a cowardly event, but it had a desired outcome. In a conflict of power, there are no rules of engagement, but to engage, the rules are needed.

“And MacDuff was the one who watched over them?” The King probed.

“I …. cannot say, My Highness. MacDuff is a noble Thane himself.” Lennox replied. “He does what he is told.”

 

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...