Monday, May 20, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act One Scene Five Sub Act Two

 

A LADY’S CONCERN

ACT ONE

SCENE FIVE

SUB ACT TWO

 

“My Lady, the King is coming to Inverness.” It was the chambermaid once more. “The Thane had returned too.”

“Madness. You think the Thane would have said that if the King was coming.” Elleanor was in haste to get ready. “The Thane would have sent words of that.”

Elleanor held the letter still in her hands.

“I beg forgiveness, my Lady. It is true. The servant rushed here on feet but his exhaustion was dear, that he only told just now.”

“Give him care and food. We have much to do with the news.” The Lady called out. “Have the cooks ready the meat? The servants to the cellars to get the wines, and where are the maids? Is the place clean for the King’s visit.”

“Go now.” The Lady gave the command. “I need to get myself ready.”

The chambermaid took leave and Elleanor was once more alone.

“The King arrives.” Elleanor said as if she was in prayer.

“Does the raven croak on their flight? Does the rat’s leave their scent on their pillage? Why does the King want to come here? He could have the celebration at his Hall. It is huge and the food aplenty.” Elleanor sighed. “Whty here, in such a small alcove of the Thane?”

“Did the King read MacBeth’s intent? No King will share his Kingdom” Elleanor shuddered at her thoughts. “Oh, my King, he fought for yourself. He laid his life for you.”

“Np, I must do my best to protect my love. I will not let him take the life of my love. He had much to do. He told me so.” Elleanor saw the dagger by the table. It was a small one to slice the fruits. She took it into her right hand. The handle felt heavy yet firm to be held.

“Harden my blood, my Lords. Stifle my fear of death.” Elleanor gripped the dagger hard. “The spirits of old, come forth to made me more than I am. Please remove me of my …… womanhood. Make my blood thick and shed my compassion or regrets. There shall be no guilt feelings. Do not doubt me of my dark desires.”

Elleanor stabbed the dagger into the vanity case.

“I will do what is for myself, and for my …... love. If there I was to call upon darkness, then all of you, demons. Come forth to bow before me. Hide not your cowardly self, and be ready to serve me as your mistress. All of you shall be my pawns and drink my milk form the bosom as it was fitting for my children.”

“You are all my children now, milked by myself. I will do my works in the dark, and creep up to them soon to be plunged with my dagger. None will halt me.” Elleanor felt the dark shadows befall her then.

“Elleanor, I have returned.” The lady heard the Thane. It shook off the dark and brightness enveloped her once more.

“I am here, Thane. I heard the news.” Elleanor composed herself to meet the Thane.

“What we here?” MacBeth saw the dagger. He reached for it but she held his touch back.

“It was a rat. I tried to remove it.”

“Rats? I must get the servants to clean the place.” MacBeth said.

“You are King, MacBeth.” Elleanor reminded the other.

“King I am not. I am still the Thane of Gladis and now ……… of Cawdor. Do you rejoice for me, Elleanor?”

“Great Thane of Gladis and the noble Thane of Cawdor, you will be greater than both when you become King. I read your letter. I am elated by the news. I feel like the future is here now.”

“SpeaKing of the King, Duncan will be here shortly.” MacBeth recalled on the King’s arrival.

“And when does he arrive?”

“Tomorrow.” MacBeth looked away with his thoughts on his expression. “Are we ….”

“Shed your concern, MacBeth. The Thane need not worry. Even when Mary was around, I was the one to oversee the palace. Do not despair on that.” Elleanor placed on the smile.

“Mary …. Bless her soul.” MacBeth smiled weakly. “She owes you many.”

“And I do …. Will do much for you. Do not worry. Your face betrays your troubled thoughts, so that others can read it like a book. To deceive all others, you must look exactly as they do. When you greet the King, do so completely: with your eyes, hands, and words. Look like an innocent flower, but be the serpent that hides beneath it. The King will be taken care of.”

“Elleanor …. I ….”

“Spare your concerns, my King. Please allow me to manage everything tonight, because the events of this night will bring us sole mastery and power for all our nights and days to come. It will be my mastery touch to it all.”

“We will speak further.” MacBeth turned to step away.

We shall, my King. Keep your head up and look calm. If your expression changes it will arouse suspicion. Leave all the rest to me.”

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...