Friday, May 24, 2024

The Highland Tale; The King Act One Scene Six Sub Act Three

 

PRINCE DONALBAIN AND MALCOLM

ACT ONE

SCENE SIX

SUB ACT THREE

 

“Donal, I am pleased that you are here. I would... “Malcolm was cut off by the other.

“I am here for Father.” Donalbain snapped at his brother. He was upset that the King had the other successor and not him. Added to the insult was his lover’s sibling lying dead among the Irish who perished at the battle. It took him some considerable moments to calm Esther.

“Esther, my love. How was it to know the outcome of the battle?” Donalbain tried to console his love. Their love was the culmination of Donalbain being sent to the Irish land to make the pact of the truce worthy of its agreement. He was the emissary of King Duncan and stayed with the Irish King at their palace. It was not long before he met Esther, the daughter of a noble Irish lord. The nights of loneliness ached his heart to go home, but Esther was there to soothe his pain. That soon became an affair of the hearts, and not long before then, Esther was with his child.

“You may leave, Donalbain, son of Duncan. Take your lover with you.” The King of Ireland gave him permission. “I cannot tell the reaction of your King, but go with my blessing.”

It was not a blessed meeting with King Duncan, who was furious at his son. They had met in the chamber of the King.

“You betrayed my trust in you. How could you... hold that child in front of me?” King Duncan glared at his son. “You are a prince and deserve better.”

“I am in love, Father.” Donalbain said. “As you were with Mother.”

“Your mother was the daughter of a noble Thane. Not of any other lands.” Duncan reacted in anger. “God bless her soul that she would not have to see this event today.”

“Father, I hold my son... your grandson... For you to receive blessing.” Donalbain looked to his father. “You could... as the grandfather held him.”

“An offspring that I did not... would never allow. The wench... Should be left to her own. Or perhaps a chest of coins will have sufficed.”

“How could you deny your grandson his love? He is not of the wenches that opened their legs for you nightly, Father.” Donalbain hit the nail into the seat. “You ….”

“I loved your mother, Donalbain. I had been sincere with her to the last moment. I am still a man, and in...”

“Carnal needs, Father, or the urge of power? I adore you, Father, but... No, I was careless with my words. Please forgive me. Please also accept my child into the family; I begged of you.”

It was the plea of the son that allowed the family to stay on land, but at a home near the palace. When the Irish invaded the land, King Duncan decreed that the family was not to be at the palace for any reasons or events. He loves his son, but he felt betrayed by Donalbain. He made the decision to assail his son, Malcolm, to prevent any squabbles over his death.

“Donalbain, are you listening?” Malcolm shook the thoughts of the other. “We are at Inverness.”

“My thoughts were away. Esther had not forgiven me and held our child to her bosom. He fears that Father will do harm to her.” Donalbain looked at Malcolm. “Would you?”

“I will not, brother. Sally is of my bloodline, and I will not hurt her.” Malcolm smiled at his brother. He was more caring towards his family, especially his brother.

“Donalbain, I heard my mother had passed on. Father is with her.” The brother, then of  tender age, approached the other. Donalbain was at the yard doing his archery.

“Who told you?” Donalbain asked.

“The nurses. They...” Malcolm replied.

“They should not have. It is the call of Father to tell us.” Donalbain lowered the bow. He had known his mother was ill, but her death was not his concern. It was his father that Donalbain was concerned about. The elder man was in grief ever since his wife was ill. He has shunned the children ever since. His mother was ill soon after she fell from the stairs following Donalbain. She never recovered, and Father blamed Donalbain, though his mother had told him that it was her mistake.

Malcolm then became the focus of the father, and all was given to Malcolm before Donalbain was asked.

“Will father wed another to replace mother?” Malcolm asked.

“I would not know.” Donalbain replied. “You need not worry, for Father will leave it to you on the throne.”

“I would not take it all, my brother. I will share it with you.” Malcolm had told the brother. “We are brothers.”

“I know you would, Malcolm, but at times, there are... things we cannot share. Just be truthful to the King and do not despair him.” Donalbain told his brother. He still had to live in his brother’s shadow.

 

 

No comments:

The Loyal Lieutenants Act Zero Scene Two

  Act Zero Scene Two.   “Exodus 19:3-25 NLT. Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The LORD called to him from the mou...