Thursday, August 1, 2013

Oz; a remake of the tale 1.19


19. Green War.

"Iron, I want your units to spread out." Glinda barked out her orders as she stood in her flying high back chair. She is looking at her latest army; they looked like humans without upper limbs but their head looks like a large hammer head from the forehead to the rear of the scalp. They are named the Hammer Heads.

"Yes, my Queen." Iron is leading an army of five thousand Hammer Heads towards Emerald City. With his hammers, they can demolish the city to its foundation.

"Yes, Iron. This would be our final battle. Once we destroyed the Wizard and Dorothy, the land is ours. My other surviving sister would not be much a fight. She is always a gentle soul."

"My Queen, we have the report from the scouts." Iron report back to its Queen. "There is an army meeting us before the city. You need to see this."

Glinda followed her army commander. She looked before her an army of soldiers armed with pikes. They are about a hundred of them.

"Thats' no threat." Glinda smiled. Then she paused to looked more closer. She can see the moving dark mass on the ground; its the ants. The ants are armed with their armor coats and head piece which only showed their antenna for smell. You can tell the officers from the red streak across their head piece while the General comes on a pallenquin. More to it, there are the siege machines again; ever powerful now delivering honey as it would make the warriors more determined to fight.

Then she looked up to the trees top and saw the swarm of Hornets. They are also here the squadron of the dreaded Hornets. She can see that they are carrying multiple stingers and flying in a crescent formation.

"Darned it!" Glinda cursed. "So the hornets are involved now."

"My Queen, we have another issue." Iron point to the other side.

Glinda saw that second army; a combination of Winkies, Winged Monkey, Munchkins, Rampsies and Nomes. But their numbers are still smaller than her's.

"I hate spoil sports." Glinda walked back to her High Back Chair. She thought of her next spell; the spell to call on the fruit trees to come alive. They should be enough trees to fight off the new army. Then she called up her birds.

If only Glinda knew her people better.

"Dorothy, I am here to offer you my services." The Guardian of the Gate spoke to me. "I been recording down your adventure and met those who were in service to you."

"Okay, the business with the green shades were getting bad." The Guardian smiled. "I met them and reconcile their differences. Some of them are with my idea. I sold them tickets to join in this war."

Back at the battle today. I walked up to the army lined up before me. They are the combined of my new army all determined to take their frustration out of the Witch. We are all lined here on a low hill facing another low hill with the Witch Hammer Heads all knocking to get into the fight.

I have the ants on the rear with their siege machines. I placed the Winkies on the left and Winged Monkeys in the center, and the rights are taken by the Rampsies alongside with the Munchkins. The Nomes are in reserves.

"People of Oz, this is the final ...........hustle. We win and you all can go home. And rejoicing. Lose and we won't be going home."

I turned to looked at the opposing side. The Hammer Heads are joined by the Fruit Trees. Then I looked up to see the Crows. I hate crows. My winged army is on the trees; and waiting for my call. Scarecrow walked up to me, and handed me more buttons.

"Use that wisely. They are expensive to make." She told me which I replied; "Sue me then."

The battle start off with the Hammer Heads charging in.

They are running as far as their legs can carry them. They look comical with their hammer looks; but they are vicious bastards. That was what Scarecrow told me. I signaled the ants.

The ants sent in the bombs of honey jugs. They used the siege machines to lobbed them over. Then they sent in the hives. These are honey bees and they would fight hard for the return of their honey. The Hammer Heads are good at crumbling structures and knocking heads but not fighting swarm of bees.

The Hammer Heads were retreating' and they send in the Crows.

I signaled the Hornets; they went in with their air battle strategy; they flew the perimeters and sent in the stingers on the Crows. The Crows being larger in size are fair targets as the stingers ruffled their more than their feathers. The stingers are laced with some potion known only to the Hornets. They induced the victims to hallucinate that they are seeing enemies all around them; in this case now are the other Crows. The Crows starts to fight among themselves; tearing each other apart with their beaks or talons.

The Hornets done their work and withdrew on my orders.

The surviving Crows also flew back.

Glinda flew up to the center of the battlefield in a new flying object; a High Back Chair that float.

"Send in Dorothy to fight me." Glinda shouted out.. "Or retreat."

I came out flying on the small pallenquin held up by a pair of Winged Monkeys and the squadron of Hornets acting as my horses.

"What in Oz is that contraption?" Glinda spoke out.

"Its the Pegasus. Anyway our version of the Pegasus." I told her as I told the Hornets to fire their stingers at her. The stingers were deflected in time by Glinda using her magic chant of a shield.

"Is that their best effort?" Glinda remarked back. She was so engrossed in her ego that she did not see the bombing from the ants. The ants threw in some bombs with the siege machines. The bombing arrays raining down around her. The explosion also blew her High Back Chair into a foldable beach chair. Glinda fell onto the field when she lost control of the chair.

"Give up, Glinda. We saw your true self today." I stood over her, as she sat there on the field.

"I still have my trees." She threatened me.

I see n the trees; the other creatures told me. So I had some counter plans; I send in the Nomes. But I needed a distraction.

"Hey, fruit cases. I am here." Droid shout out his presence to the trees. The droid intimidate the trees by swinging the battle axe.

"Timber....." The droid shouted out the words that riled up the trees. They ran for the droid, but the trees were not expecting a series of cave in on the ground they were moving on. Unknown to the trees, the Nomes had dug tunnels below leaving small narrow foundation that was keeping it above. Now the signal was given when the sound of the word 'timber' was given, the Nomes took down those foundations. The ground above it collapsed like rotting woods pillaged by termites. The fruit trees all went down and soon themselves stomped on by the Nomes.

That ended the fruit season.

"Your army is retreating, Glinda. Its all over." Suddenly I saw another Witch approaching the battle field. She is all dressed in white and travels on a white bed linen.

"I am the Witch of the South."

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...