Wednesday, September 4, 2013

How I got my apple trees




"Charlie Hanson, you come down this minute or I would have you toppled with the apple tree." I gave him my ultimatum. I am no GW but I could swing an axe as good as any boys. It all started two weeks ago when Ian Storm asked me for the date at the Prom. I was taken aback by his request, as he was the football star while I was the timber girl; I helped dad on my weekends removing the branches off the trunks with the power saw. Or axe. I bought myself a spaghetti strap pink dress and bracelet with the words; 'flame on'. Even my dad said he would take on the boys for a long night of drinking, but he told me, hold onto your vanity; what ever that means. At the prom we danced and then Ian drove me back in his dad' pickup. We strolled up the steps of the porch and stood by the door. I looked into his eyes and closed mine. He leaned over and was to kissed me when we heard.

"Red apples for the Princess?" I looked towards the voice. It was then I picked up my paces and axe by the porch before Charlie ran up my apple tree. That night two things went down; one was the apple tree with Charlie on it, and the other was we fell in love. That was soon after I realized Ian could not stand the sight of me chopping woods. But Charlie was appreciative of one so strong.

"Julie Adams, you got the swing that my ma had before she married Pa." Charlie' mum was also a timber girl before. We are akin to belong to each other. Charlie promised to plant me an orchard of apples trees.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...