Sunday, September 1, 2013

To the Firefighters of Yarnell, Arizona

"Dad, can we stop?" He was only five and I doubt he was going to wait for me to reached the gas station. I pulled over. He looked out the window at the horizon. I shared his view; it was the landscape of burnt grounds. I recalled then there was a fire in Yarnell on 28th June 2013. My son looked towards me.

"Dad, can I step out to say some words?" I nodded and he opened the door. He stood there and then left his Captain America figure there. He came back in and closed the door.

"Thanks, Dad."

 

Author notes:

The Yarnell Hill Fire was a wildfire near Yarnell, Arizona, ignited by lightning on June 28, 2013. On June 30, it overran and killed 19 firefighters with the Prescott Fire Department's interagency Granite Mountain Hotshots. The wildfire was fully contained by July 10, 2013. This event resulted in the highest wildland firefighter death toll in the United States ( Wikipedia )

With this tale, I would to like expressed my condolences to the families and friends of the heroes of Yarnell. And also to those who were affected by the incident.

Thank you.

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...