Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Othello the Legatus Act 5 Scene 2 Part 5

Act Five Scene 2 Part 5

Cassio looked to the lady standing before him. He could not believe what she had become, from the lively chatty but strong headed girl to this killing lady with a confused state in her mind.

"Stay here. Do not come down." Cassio told her. He then proceed to get up using the gladius but his knee hurt. Desdemona stepped froward to hold him.

"Thank you." Cassio replied. But it was too late. The door was opened and in came Othello; just recovered from his seizure and groggy on his feet. He saw them holding each other. That was enough for him to react. He had lost his gladius, but he still had his personal pugio. He drew that and thrust towards them.

Desdemona saw it from the corner of her eyes and turned to face it. The dagger tore into her bosom; piercing her heart.

"Die, you treacherous whore. Your heart for my pain." Othello twist the dagger into her heart.

"Othello, I love you." Desdemona called out and then breathe her last. Cassio who was leaning on his gladius fell back to the seat. He looked at the man with the dark mask.

"Are you mad, Othello?" Cassio called out to him. "She is Desdemona, your love."

"My love no more. She is everyone's love. She had nothing I own for myself." Othello replied but Cassio cautioned him.

"You were wrong. She told me everything. I think you are mistaken. I never had sex with her. We used to be together but it was all over." Cassio told him. "I was with no other ladies, Othello."

"No, you were not. You were with her. You devoted to her like I did. I was blinded by her." Othello told him. But Cassio hit back hard.

"No, I was with Branius, my lover." Cassio blurt it out. "Iago knew. He misled you. You are a fool, Othello."

Othello slumped back against the doorway. He felt so wasted stranding here. But not long as the door was hammered from outside. Othello latched it and went for the window. He did say anything but jumped out. The door burst open and in came the guards followed by Iago and the two Roman Senators.

"What in Apollo's name happened here" Lodovico asked."Where is Othello?"

"He had escaped." Cassio told him. He then looked to the guards. "Find him but do not harm him."

Cassio then looked at Iago.

"I want to speak to you alone." 

"None need be." Iago replied. "You killed these women. One is my love." With that Iago rushed at Cassio, but the later had seen it coming. He deflected the attacking Centurion and pushed him off.

"Stop your acting. Iago. I knew it all." Cassio told him. "Its best you claimed defeat than to die today."

"Never!" Iago shouted back. He was to resumed his attack when Branius stepped in. He hurled the pilum from the doorway. The legionnaire spear pierced Iago in the chest. He fell down to his knees holding the spear at the chest.

"Who..." Iago muttered out.

"I, Branius." The Centurion stepped in. "I knew of your plans from Roderigo. You are a disgrace to us in the Legion."

With that, Iago fell to his death, leaving Cassio seated there looking defeated. He looked to the Roman Senators.

"I think we need to find Othello. He may be confused too."

The two Senators agreed to it. They are all confused. Branius arranged the burial of the dead ladies while Iago would be hung over the harbour walls. He then arranged a briefing for the Senators with Cassio in attendance.

"I knew it, as Roderigo was also my friend." Branius explained. "He came to see me when he had landed here. I was surprised to see him, but he told he came because of Desdemona. I knew neither of her and how she had influenced his judgment. I left it at that but when I got the sash from Iago to give to Cassio, I was still not sure what that meant. I was never close to Othello. But I checked the others who were close to him. It was then I knew of the significance of the sash. I gave it back to Cassio. I then asked more of the events. I met Roderigo before he was killed.. He told me of Iago' role. I knew then what was going to happen. I went off to warn Othello but I could not find him. When I came to, Roderigo was dead and Cassio was wounded. I tended to him first and decided to talk to Othello later. But The battle came. It was too quick everything. Until I heard the shouts. I did what I had to saved Cassio. He is still my Pilus."

"A brave and noble move, Branius. You did well to protect your Prime Pilus. I was taken aback by the action of Iago. He looked like a mad man, but we would know more when we find Othello." Lodovico advised back.

"In the meantime, Cassio would take over as per the order of Emperor Commodus. Branius, you would hold the position of Prime Pilus." Lodovico continued on. "I would have this documented for the Emperor."

"Truly a tragedy." Gratiano added on.

"Yes, but above it, we have a victory. The tribesmen are all defeated. Rome once again ruled the land." Lodovico announced for all to hear.


No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...