Monday, January 19, 2015

Loki Passage 3.2

“Great One, I am unworthy of your gift.” Odin went down on his knees to plead with the Great One. He was just been given the role of taking over the role as the next All-Father. He looked to his father, Bor son of Buri.

“The rightful person shall be my Bor; the rightful of heir of Buri.” Odin motioned to his father. It was then Buri raised his voice.

“Bor may be my son, as you are his son. Whoever I appoint is my decision.”  The Great One commanded. “And my decision is you.”

“Great One, I am …too young to assume such a great responsibility….” Odin tried to justify his unworthiness.

“One who would have the Elders to guide you in the ruling the people.” The Great One intercepts the clarification. “I was like you before. I may have united the clans, but I was no real leader for some time. I had the Elders to advise me, and from there I improved. So were you soon when you are my successor.”

Odin remained on his knees, and refused to stand up but the Great One approached the young warrior. He leaned down to look at Odin.

“Odin the son of Bor.” The Great One handed over the spear which was his from his father. “Take my spear for yourself. Gunner would serve you well.”

Gunner was made from the tough and resilient wood from the Ysil Tree; unfavorable for a spear due to its weight, but in Gunner, the weight was absorbed by magical properties making it lighter for the user to wield with ease. It was 15-foot in length with a sharp iron head shaped like a narrow leaf and a bronze butt-spike that would allow it to be anchored to the ground to stop charges by enemy soldiers. The butt-spike served to balance out the spear, making it easier for soldiers to wield. The butt-spike could be used as a back-up point should the main one break.

Odin held the spear; he remembered the first time he wield it when he was still a toddler. It felt so strange then but when the Great One handed it then, he felt the spear was already with him. It was then he heard the others in the Hall, all hailed him as the new All Father. He stood up and held Gunner on his side before he addressed the ones who had accepted him as the leader.

“I am Odin son of Bor, and grandson of Buri. The Great One had given me a responsibility which I ….would carry with pride.” Odin told the Elders. He was to speak more but the Great One was walking towards the main doors of the Hall. Odin stopped and spoke to the departing leader.

“Great One, before you ventured on your wanderers; please allowed us to hail you once more as the Great One.” Odin told his grandfather. The Elders and leaders all in attendance were to greet the departing leader, but the Great One rose up his arms. The departing leader turned to look at them.

“Please do not do this.” Buri spoke up. “I am no more your leader. This Hall shall not hear anymore of my name from now. That is my final wish as the Great One.”

With that, Buri took on his walk and left the Hall. Outside the Hall, the rest of the congregation had all heard the new proclamation. They had all crouched down on their knees as a sign of respect to their departing leader. Buri smiled at them and moved to the waiting mount of his. He climbed on and rode off in a slow trot, smiling at every Asgardian he passed.

Inside the Hall, Odin looked to the seat vacated by Buri. It was a large seat with a high back; the seat was covered with the skin of the great mountain lion with its paws laid on the seat arms and legs. Its head was removed to hang on the left side, as it shall not overshadow the All Father who would be seated there. Odin turned to look at the assembled and then he spoke.

“I am in need of some good warriors to ride with me.” Odin laid his eyes on the assembled. “They would be at my side at all times. Their loyalty to me would be unquestioned, and their message from me, would be considered as spoken by myself to you.”

“I called on Lonkar the Brave.” Odin named the first one. Lonkar the Explorer. The named warrior was renowned for his far flung solo travels, where he would discover new creatures and people. He had escaped with many skirmishes where his life was almost forfeited. Lonkar was a huge man who was dressed in the skin of the Frost Giant he slew who had killed his father. He wore the skin like a cloak over his armor, and cared not what the other think, but he was able to defend his name. His weapon was the double head spear that he used like a swinging sword. He does not wear any helm on his head, but the hollowed out skull of the Giant Bear, which he had molded to his head.

“I would be glad to serve you, All Father.” Lonkar stepped forth and went down on his knees. Odin smiled and then announced his other warrior.


“Call in the Vizier from outside. He would be the next one on my side.”  

No comments:

The Highland Tale Notes and onto Merrlyn

 The biggest challenge to re-writing or adapting a well known tale was to make it your own. As I had mentioned before, I wanted to do this t...